I feel like my dream is slipping away.

Since I was 11 years old I have dreamed of being an English teacher in Japan. I had spent hour after hour reserching on the internet every possible way I could do it. Well here is the problem..

For the past 2 years I have not been able to take Japanese lessons. I've been studying other subjects in college that are shapping me into the type of person I want to be. I'm now ready to get on track.

Next year I'm planning on taking English and then a TEFL course (Teaching English as a Forign Language). But it wouldn't be a degree. In Japan they want to employ people with degrees so It looks like I would have to spend another 6 years in education (I've already been in college for 4 years).

Secondly my boyfriend told me about imagration laws. I don't know if it applys to Japan but he said he could never imagrate because he has a criminal record. But it was when he was about 15 and he hasn't done anything since (that I know of).

This has really been getting at me all day, I've been trying to find the imagration laws for Japan online but haven't found ANYTHING! I'm getting pretty upset. On one hand I have the man of my dreams who tells me he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, on the other hand I can feel my career dreams falling to pieces before they've even started.

Any advice would be apreciated,

~S.

His criminal record may be sealed due to him being a juvenile at time, so you will have to look into it.

Anyway, back the situation at hand though. This is YOUR career, so pursue it..if it is your lifelong dream you won't mind putting some work in to get there! Research more into immigration and working visas. Contact some schools that do teaching over there and get more information about what is required. Contact the emabssies to find out what is needed.

You may not be able to actually immigrate there but you should be able to get visas to work there.

Note that teaching English there is not easy...many people go over there but find it is not all it is cracked up to be as well.

I would recommend talking to people who have done it as well, and going to information sessions (I see these advertised sometimes from TEFL).

You've been in college for four years and you don't have a degree? That's strange...

What does your Academic Adviser think about the situation? Does your school have a Career Services department, or an International Programs office? They might be able to give you more valuable advice.

You should also be able to speak with a Counselor at your Office of International Students--they will know all the technicalities about immigration. Do you really need a Japanese citizenship in order to work there? Does your boyfriend speak Japanese, and what are his prospects of finding a job there?

Good for you wanting to become an english teacher. I to want to become an English teacher(first year in college). Well i don't know what to say except, you shouldn't refer to it as a dream. After all, how often to dreams come true. So maybe you should start to refer to it as a goal than maybe you could get a break in life.Aslo ten year sof college isn't that bad i have to go for eight, mostly because i eventally want to become a dean of a college. But, do whatever makes you happy.

I have to agree with everyone here - that you should focus on the career. I also think you should have more talks with your boyfriend about how much you love him, love the dedication. Brainstorm together - think big. Is it possible for you to do your study in Japan and come back and teach in the U.S? Maybe a portion of the year you could be in Japan and then come back.

In order to have your cake and eat it too, you have to modify your dream.

I think if you feel a driving passion to live permanently in Japan, however, then you should most definitely realize you need to let the boyfriend go and this will just be a very painful process. It will hurt and take time to adjust. Preparing yourself mentally for that break-up will make it easier - just not easy.

I spoke to him about it. I told him why I was worrying so much and explained that I wanted to go there when I finish my education.

SimoneTiger: I've just turned 20 you can't take a degree until your 18. College in England is very different.

Well he said we'd go on holiday there first and see what it's like. He said he may even like it there, but then again he might not. He said I might not even like it there (I think I would). He said he doesn't want to think about the future too much right now because he's having problems with his job.

If it comes down to it and he hates it there and I love it I'll tell him that I'm going to work there after I go to university and get a degree. I doubt he'd hate it though I think he just finds the language issue thought provoking.

~S.

Silver - If it is your dream, then a few more years of education should not hold you back! Not only that, but having a degree will allow you more opportunities in the future should you end up choosing to follow something else as well.

A past boyfriend of mine went there and fell in love with the place. He said it was a very different culture, and of course the language is not the easiest to pick up, but even after he returned he immersed himself in learning the language - he fell absolutely in love with Japan, and I am sure you will find it great as well

Silver, I am currently teaching English in Japan. You do not have to speak Japanese to work here. If you'd like more information or if you have any questions, please feel free to pm me. I don't think the criminal record is a huge problem, but I will check the ESL forums to make sure.

Also, you need to be careful about some of the programs that offer TEFL certificates, so if you'd like, I can direct you to some sources that might be able to help you.

But I definitely think you should go after your dream. This was a dream for me, and although I have learned that this isn't really for me, I am glad I did it. If I hadn't, I would have regretted it for the rest of my life.

Just a quick edit: the criminal record could affect his chances at a working holiday visa, but I am not sure about the others, and it seems like it could be worked around. I am pming you a link to a thread in a forum regarding the criminal record issue.