Blind Date.. Tips?

Okay, so I got an email from a university account the other day about dating on campus. Basically they were trying to get a pool of singles together, have them take a survey, and then match them up on blind dates. I thought it sounded cool, so I went ahead and filled it out, and sure enough they sent me an email tonight that say they set me up with a girl for this Friday.

The thing is, I'm pretty nervous about it. Excited, but nervous. This will be my first date, ever. Anybody have any tips for this situation?

A friend of mine suggested that I email her first to break the ice, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Thanks everyone!

Don't get scared if she looks like one of those freakish girls from the Ring lol. Work your way through it, be very boring to repel them. Just kidding lol.

Umm, well ask open-end questions, try to talk more about her than yourself, that shows her that you actually have interest in her than being a 50/50 guy and she gets bored of you. Plus, if you focus attention more attention on her and less talk about yourself, she will want to know MORE about you and will increase the chance of a second date! E-mailing her to break the ice? Nah, why break the ice if she turns out to be someone you DON'T want to know and will be your stalker? lol. I don't think you should take the chance of e-mailing. But yeah, post us on how the blind date thing goes. Good luck, don't be so nervous!!

The first thing I always did with first dates was find a way to break that nervous ness. Go out and blurt something! Any topic! Your favourite band! The latest book you read. See if it sparks an interst. If so, you're in for some good conversation. If not, just thik of something else. Maybe ask her some questions to see if she'll do the same.

I hope this helps.

Sure - I think it would be fine to e-mail her a quick! e-mail. As in, no longer than 3 sentences. Something like, "Hi - We were set up by the university. I'll be the guy at the coffee shop wearing a black sweater and jeans." That's if she doesn't know what you look like.

Anyways, like MetallicAguy said, ask her open-ended questions about herself. Where did she go on her last vacation? how many brothers and sisters - are they close? Compliment her! Tell her she looks nice, or that you like her hairstyle. But, don't compliment her like, "You have a great butt" or "nice breasts!" But, don't overdo it on the compliments. 1-2 is enough. More makes you look desperate.

It's a blind date, so you don't need to bring flowers or a gift. I think blind dates should be shortish - like 1-2 hours, no more than 3. Unless you two really hit it off. If you hang with her, and you find after 1 hour, you don't like her, politely excuse yourself saying, "I need to get going - I'm supposed to meet my chem lab partner to go over our homework assignment. It was nice meeting you."

good luck!!! Don't be too nervous! I sometimes have 1 glass of wine to calm my nerves. But, don't drink too much because then you'l come accross as a drunk fool. Good luck!!!

I had a blind date a few months back, we met at a coffee house after emailing each other. I should have said:

Hi miss, are you waiting for someone?

She will probably smile and say yes, then deliberately call her a different name and introduce yourself as frederick (unless your name is frederick)

Then be like oh sorry Mary I forgot I used my real name

I really should have done that and if she didn't get it, then obviously we shouldn't have anything more than a cup of coffee together anyway (which is what ended up happening)

I am not sure if that sounds funny when read or not, but 4 out of 4 of my friends thought it was funny when I said it...good luck in any case

--Joey