How do I answer the interview question "Why did you leave your last job"

MoveON2

Hi,

I am applying for the same type of job at the same level, how can I say I left to enhance my career? I actually liked the work itself and I am good at it. When I first arrived at this employers office it was disorganized, and very much behind. I cleaned it up and kept it in good shape for three years. Three years and suddenly I felt the need to move on for career fulfillment? It just doesn't ring true and it is obvious that there was a problem. The problem was that the "new manager" was horrible, two faced, and had her own agenda. She would act sweet and lovely around the boss then spike you when he wasn't looking. I am actually a really nice person and have huge empathy for people, especially new people. I know that can be really hard but she was out to make a name for herself. To just have the department work nicely as it had been, no, there had to be a dust up to show that she could handle such things. She actually went after a younger colleague first, I challenged her and boom I was the target. I don't know how to play games and I don't know how to navigate politics and agendas, she was a master. My agenda was to do the work as I had always done. Well I went from a productive employee to a piece of trash trouble maker in a matter of weeks. I started getting sick, headaches, couldn't eat, sleep etc. I went to the doctor and he told me in no uncertain terms, get out of there immediately, so I did. Of course relaying this to a future employer would do what? How do I explain it I don't believe it myself. I have gone to interviews and I believe I have convinced them I am right for the job (which I am) until I answer this question. It just doesn't ring true and it feels like a lie. In my line of work honesty is crucial. I don't know if I'm conveying the residual of this experience when I answer or not. It is a dilemma because I am really good and I am an excellent employee. This has knocked me out of play it seems. I have other people in the organization who say they love me and will give me a reference. The employers want to speak to my direct supervisor. She will say nothing good, it is not in HER best interests at this point. Help!!!!!

I would say something like “after some recent reorganization, I realized my professional goals weren’t in line with my current employers. From what I’ve read and heard about your company, I’m really excited about x, y, and z for these reasons”

I think that's a good response.

I would say something like “after some recent reorganization, I realized my professional goals weren’t in line with my current employers. From what I’ve read and heard about your company, I’m really excited about x, y, and z for these reasons”

That's a really good option.

Personally I would say something along the lines of how you opened this post, that you feel a need to take a step forward in your career and you didn't feel that your last role offered you the kinds of challenges and room for growth that you're seeking. Be prepared to have a few answers about what was lacking, and what you're looking for - not mentioning the politics of the workplace.

This is a hard one to manage because social issues/insubordination in a previous role is a huge red flag for future employers. If you feel like you're lying, it's because you haven't prepared yourself a good enough set of "other reasons" why you left. Spend some time thinking about it and rewriting that story in your mind, and it will flow more naturally in an interview

This is a very good answer!

This, but try to find some less scripted way to say it, so it doesn't sound like you memorized it out of a book.

Archived