In need of some career advice

I moved to another state about 3 months ago, and I have been struggling to find a job where I currently live now. About two weeks ago, I started a new job as a receptionist. I only accepted this job because I needed some form of income. I have a bachelor's degree and several years of experience under my belt and I am hoping to find a better job. My current job does not pay a living wage, and my husband and I are still heavily dependent on his income, unfortunately.

My problem right now is that I took a day off during my second week at my new job to attend a job interview for a position that is out of town. I called in and said that I could not come into work due to car troubles (the interview was on very short notice). Now this week (my third week at the new job) and I am being called in for a second interview with the company that's out of town, plus a phone interview with another company and I will need time off for that. Again, these were scheduled on very short notice. I feel bad that they are taking the time to train me at my current job, and because the lady who is training me is hoping to move up in the company and she has had to put that on hold to train me. I am debating whether or not I should quit this current job so I can focus my time and energy into finding another job that will pay a better wage. Also; this would give my employer a chance to hire someone who plans to stay with the business for a longer period of time. I would really appreciate any advice as to what to do in this situation!

You already know what you need to do. With better options, you best inform your current employer of your situation. Expect the worst and hope for the best. Regardless, dedicate all your time to getting the job you really want. If you don't, you may always ponder why you didn't.

Archived