My Son - My Teenager and FOOD

Lisii

It's not about him taking advantage of the fact that you'll prepare him meals or him not getting enough fiber to keep him feeling full. It's about the fact he's a 6 foot tall, active teenager who's a healthy weight and potentially even still growing. The kid simply needs energy, and he'll need it throughout the day. If he's not gaining weight, then his intake isn't exceeding his expenditure. By all means, teach him to prepare food as it's an essential life skill, but it's not going to curb your meal expenses much.

If I tried to eat 4500 calories from completely "healthy" foods, I'd be broke in a week. I get my nutrition and fill in for energy as needed. I ain't above an emergency pack of oreos. There are no healthy or unhealthy foods, just healthy or unhealthy diets. And, as I said, micros and macros can only carry you so far when you're burning 1200 calories playing a full rugby match.

Peanut butter, eggs, whole milk, pasta, rice... a ton of cheap options out there. Nothin' wrong with making sure his main courses are nutrient rich. Just don't fret so much about making sure he's getting enough Vitamin C in all the foods he takes in throughout the day.

Yes!.. He has hollow leg syndrome.. Guess I need to look at buying a massive chest freezer, prepare larger portions and give him 4 big meals a day!

My husband is the same too. Almost $9,000 a year in food in this house eaten minus going out to eat.

Oh, I cringe when people invite us out to dinner, as I know he will always try to order the biggest meal on the menu.

Food isn't cheap.

Maybe next year (when I may start dating again) I will find a rich dairy farmer or sheep station owner who can feed us..... ;-)

Oh, I cringe when people invite us out to dinner, as I know he will always try to order the biggest meal on the menu.

Food isn't cheap.

Maybe next year (when I may start dating again) I will find a rich dairy farmer or sheep station owner who can feed us..... ;-)

I know it is crazy. We get a food order every December that supposed to last for the year and it's $4000 . Inevitably at some point we run out of vegetables . I would say May would run out of vegetables . Don't forget there's milk bread eggs other staples . I don't know my two guys just Hoover up anything not nailed to the floor and my husband is the worst.

So even after paying $181 per two weeks for our food order there is somehow still a $150 food bill .

My son is now 6'4" and fit at 30. Back when he was a growing teen our budget was tight. For snacks he went through a lot of english muffin pizza's, cereal, macaroni and cheese, apples with peanut butter, cheese sticks, tuna melts, ramen. All things he would make for himself. He also helped quite a bit with cooking for the family and grocery shopping.

OMGosh Victoria! - My food bill is about $250 a week and that's staples

Righto so the census is to buy.. bulk rice, bulk Tatters, bulk flour, beans.

Start a market garden.

Get him and his brother to do all the cooking and cleaning in the kitchen (that's my input)

and marry a super rich farmer, who also hunts.... (but I prefer Men in Tree's types )

OMGosh Victoria! - My food bill is about $250 a week and that's staples

Righto so the census is to buy.. bulk rice, bulk Tatters, bulk flour, beans.

Start a market garden.

Get him and his brother to do all the cooking and cleaning in the kitchen (that's my input)

and marry a super rich farmer, who also hunts.... (but I prefer Men in Tree's types )

If you're talking snacks, aim for things he can make quickly.

Archived