I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for a little over two years. About a year and a half of it has been an LDR. He went into the army after about 6 months of dating. Anyway, I was just curious as to how much a couple in an LDR should be talking to eachother. How much communication is necessary for an LDR to be healthy? How often should one call the other and for how long should the conversations last, etc? You'd think that after doing the long distance thing for a year and a half that I would know. But recently my boyfriend and I have been having altercations centering on this issue. I don't think we talk enough and he always has some excuse. Any answers will be appreciated. I also welcome any tips from those who have been in a successful LDR. Thanks in advance!

I think it depends on the couple, but at least a few times a week talking on the phone plus sending emails or IM'ing eachother is a good amount of communication when in an LDR. Always healthy to see the person at least once a month as well, as the physical component of a relationship cannot be ignored.

I think you should give him up for good.

LDR is just not suitable for you. You are asking for something that can gives you attention and affection at times.

And since you cant see him in a LDR, even he says that he loves you, you may just dun feel it at all.

If you want a hug or a kiss, he can only give you an audio one or a cyber one.

In a LDR you should try to talk to him as much as you can to see if things are going good. IF you dont have time, sending hand written letters can mean a lot. Send a picture once in a while to keep him going, its harsh to train in the army, but I know u can be his light when he is stressed. Im in LDR myself and I try to talk to her everyday, but since ur boy is in the army it might be harder to reach him. IF I were you, try to at least keep in touch 3 times a week. IF you dont communicate, yal begin to loose interest. Good luck with your relationship.

Allen,