The things I have learned.

Well, its time again. I look back at how I was a year ago, and where I am now. Huge difference.

Alot of things about me changed. Mainly my outlook on life, and how I treat it.

Honor

If you gave a word, keep it. Or do your best to keep it. If someone trusts you with something, dont let them down. If you had sex with a girl and you promised not to tell, do not go the next day and tell all your friends. Hold your promises. Stand up for your beliefs.

Respect and Confidence.

Self improvement is a huge part of this. Read this:

link removed

A fundemental part of success in life. Those things are connected. Make yourself a person to be respected. Respected by yourself. The respect of others will follow.

Confidence is KNOWING that you do not have to prove anything to anyone but yourself. But constantly proving to yourself.

Stand up for yourself, and your loved ones

Have mental toughness. Become the person who is respected. Not liked, respected. If someone disrespects you, go up there and get that respect back. Some people will try to make fun of you and push you around, but you will be surprised how many of them will cowardly back down once you stand up to them. If you see your friend getting beaten up by 5 guys, run there and help him. When the time is right, he will do the same for you, if he is a real friend.

We have been taught that violence is not the answer. Sometimes, it is the best answer. If that guy just keeps talking doo doo about you and doesent shut up, a good punch between the eyes will do just that. Fighting isnt bad. Not at all. It is pathetic, however, to see someone trying to act tough or fake confidence by trying to start one. Confidence should not come from this.

Physical fighting for the right reason is good.

Do the things you love to do

Do you love computer programming? Great. Do you enjoy music. Great. Do those things. Do not stop just because it "isnt the thing to do". Listen to whatever you want to listen to. Wear whatever you want. Have your own opinion. People will dislike you for this. But they will respect you.

Take responsibility

If you cheated on your girlfriend and she found out, dont make up some cover story. Admit it. Didnt do your homework and got bad grades? Same thing. If you choose to do something, be responsible for it.

Ultimately, YOU and only you are responsible for your life. I, nor anyone else, cannot make you do anything unless you do it. Stop making excuses and act. If you do nothing, you will have nothing.

Be positive

Alot of people call me naive because of the way I act. This isnt so, however. I always know what is going on, but I always try to make the best of everything. People wonder how I can not be bored in class, or going out by myself.

There will ALWAYS be something good in everything. Rejection, loss, whatever. Take that little good out of the bad.

In the morning befores chool, listen to some music that pumps you up. Then scream as loud as you can. Your parents might thing youre crazy, but it doesent matter. This will give you energy.

Take risks

Take risks. They are the spice of life. Just know, if you do something stupid, always be willing to pay the price (aka responsibility).

Defeat and Loss

You must know when to keep fighting with all you got, and you must know when you are defeated. But always, do your best to succeed. ALWAYS. Do not make this a self-excuse for failure. It is death before dishonor my friend. You can be defeated, but still keep your honor. Let defeat make you stronger.

It is hard to admit defeat. When you gave your best but it still wasnt good enough. Like said before, learn your lesson, hold your head up high and move on.

Try hard. Dont sit around while everyone is playing soccer just because you are bad at it. Get out there and start trying hard. This will get you a feeling that you tried, and it will get you a degree of respect.

"I believe in defeat, but I do not believe in not trying"

Ultimately, determination can get you far.

"It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog".

When I was 10, having just moved to this country, I was immideatly sent into 5th grade. I knew absolutely no english, and doing homework was a long, painstaking activity. However, I was extrememly determined, and despite my lack of English language still managed to get good grades, through sheer determination and help of parents (who knew even less English than me). 3 years later, in 8th grade, I fluently spoke english, knew all the material, but I was lazy and undetermined, and got lousy grades. As I look back on this, I shudder.

Sometimes the only thing that you have is your willpower. Death before dishonor.

I believe that success comes from intelligence and determination.

Knowing what you want, how to get it, and the whole process of getting it.

Its all about making a choice, and acting upon it.

-Skyfire

I have read both of your posta (as in your older one), and I completely agree with everything you have said. Although some points seem to be the negative, such as fighting, you still prove good points.

However, I don't think you should live life trying to earn respect from other people. If you can respect yourself, the rest will follow, and ultimately, that's all that matters.

Even though this is an excellent post, which may inspire many of you, please remember that this is someone's life philosophy. This may not work for everyone, just try to make adjustments to fit your personality.

I agree with the point about fighting, there is such thing as righteous/justified violence. Mental toughness and sticking up for yourself is also important. Being liked is one thing, but you should also aim for respect, because people can like you for being a doormat i.e. they can like you but also look down on you. You should not allow that.

Wonderful information. I know a previous poster didn't agree with the fighting part but I do agree that sometimes it's necessary (after all other things have been tried). Sitting there and taking abuse will not stop it. Asking them to stop may end it, and if not tell them to stop or else they will be punched is a last ditch effort. I've given this advice to my son. The school didn't like it but he said it was the only thing that got the kid to stop teasing him. Sometimes brute force is necessary (ask a police officer).

Great advice. Only thing is I don't agree with the violence part, unless we are talking self defense. But if you initiate the violence it is likely to cause more trouble. Violence begets violence. As Ghandi said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the world blind and toothless."