I have a person who thinks I'm there friend...

There's this guy I know, who thinks I'm his friend, but I'm not and don't wish to be. I'm just being nice to him when I see him, but there have been times that he wants to hang out. Now normally I'm a nice guy and don't mind, but this guy I know is a jerk. And I know he could be a bad influence on me, what should I do? I'm thinking though that I'll probably just come and say that I just think of him as someone I know, and don't want to hang out with him. I know that's mean, but I feel it has to be done...

What if the guy didn't happen to be a jerk, but you still decided that he wasn't going to be your buddy?

Besides having a lack of things in common with one another, what else prevents a buddy friendship from happening? The guys I know tend to "close ranks" with the dudes they've known since childhood and newcomers (sometimes me) are treated as associates only and not true buddies.

And as for this guy, stay away from him and try to ignore him as much as possible. Might be hard if you guys go to the same school, but do it.

Luckily, it turned out better than I hoped. I told him I think of him only as an acquitance, and he admitted that there were people who didn't want to hang out with him, becuase they were afraid of getting in trouble. He wasn't disappointed and I can tell I don't have to worry anymore.

Eeek!

That *almost* sounds like you are describing me with my current situation in befriending an acquiantance I know! The only thing that's different with me is I do NOT make racist comments or pick on anyone. I have hinted at hanging out with this guy since last summer with NO success. I only get to talk with him at his job or in the hallways in between classes! He hasn't emailed me in months!

But anyway... I don't know what to say to your question. I'm on the other side of the fence.