"People who are emotionally healthy are in control of their emotions and their behavior. They are able to handle life’s challenges, build strong relationships, and recover from setbacks. But just as it requires effort to build or maintain physical health, so it is with mental and emotional health. Improving your emotional health can be a rewarding experience, benefiting all aspects of your life, including boosting your mood, building resilience, and adding to your overall enjoyment of life."

"People who are mentally and emotionally healthy have:

A sense of contentment

A zest for living and the ability to laugh and have fun

The ability to deal with stress and bounce back from adversity

A sense of meaning and purpose, in both their activities and their relationships

The flexibility to learn new things and adapt to change

A balance between work and play, rest and activity, etc.

The ability to build and maintain fulfilling relationships

Self-confidence and high self-esteem"

At first I expected a completely hollow and useless, clickbait article but I was pleasantly surprised. Good find, Hermes. I don't get the emphasis on volunteering though, it is far from popular where I live and I can think of much better ways to spend time and energy.

I suppose it has to do with our history and over 40 years of communist rule. There were no homeless or unemployed people back then, at least officially. So it is very much a thing of volunteering being new and popular, especially in the capital.

Volunteering covers a huge range of life situations. Not necessarily in connection with the homeless or unemployed.

Examples would be Red Cross volunteers, outreach, independent living, assisting the elderly, hospital visiting, volunteering at events,......the list is endless.

"Risk factors that can compromise mental and emotional health:

"Poor connection or attachment to your primary caretaker early in life. Feeling lonely, isolated, unsafe, confused, or abused as an infant or young child.

Traumas or serious losses, especially early in life. Death of a parent or other traumatic experiences such as war or hospitalization.

Learned helplessness. Negative experiences that lead to a belief that you’re helpless and that you have little control over the situations in your life.

Illness, especially when it’s chronic, disabling, or isolates you from others.

Side effects of medications, especially in older people who may be taking a variety of medications.

Substance abuse. Alcohol and drug abuse can both cause mental health problems and make preexisting mental or emotional problems worse."

From same link

Archived