Rejection never felt so good

hockeyboy

Friday night im out with my cousin and randomly I started talking about this girl who I had a huge crush on in 6th grade. The last time I saw her was 3 or 4 years ago at a new years eve party. I had a gf at the time but we started talking and I told her how I had a crush on her and she told me she had a crush on me too!

Now im single..i was telling my cousin that if I ever see her again im just going to have to flat out ask her on a date (not thinking I would see her again) So Saturday night rolls along. My cousin asks me if I want to go out to the city with him and a bunch of other friends and go on a pub crawl. I didn't want to because I had a hockey game at 6am! I ended up going because "you only live once." BTW I never slept..just stayed up all night, I watched Die Hard 2 inbetween going out and hockey haha.

Anyways, when I was out at the bar I ran into some old friends. Then my cousin says "hey, check that girl out." I turn around and who else…its my 6th grade crush. That was just to weird. I talked to her, then later in the night outside I was walking with her and my friends and her friends. I told her my story then stopped, grabbed her hand, looked her in the eyes, and asked her out on a date. Now we were both drunk and a little emotional so that's probably why she had a little tear come out of her eye. She said it was the sweetest thing shes ever heard and that just would have absolutely made her night but she has a boyfriend. She seemed upset…like gave me the "why now?" attitude. She seemed sincere and did not seem to just making excuses though I could be wrong. But I really don't think so.

Anyways..im glad I did it. I was not embarrassed. Now I do not have to sit around and wonder "what if.." I always say I hate saying "what if" and I reminded myself of that right before I did it. I probably won't see her again for years.

More importantly though..this was the first girl that I really felt something for since my ex. Not like I loved her or anything…but there are just those girls that just strike me in a certain way. Ive had several relationships…the two serious ones..when I first started talking to them they just hit me in this way I cannot describe. The not so serious relationships..the girls never did that. This girl proved to me that there are going to be other women out there that will strike me in "that way." Though im still considering my ex…I not only think…but now know that no matter what ill find someone to be happy with.

Anyone trying to ask someone on a date...just go for it!!! whats the worse that can happen?

Oh ya…I had to get another girls number to boost my ego after that! haha

she rejected me...i wasnt going to ask for her number anyways. if i really want to get in contact with her i can and she can get in contact with me as well. a friend of hers (and mine from hs) exchanged numbers because we are going to go out to cali together to visit another mutual friend. we were both going to do it...but didnt know eachother were going..so we just said we may as well go together. how could i ask her for her number after she said what she said..that would be a little weird.

besides, i got another girls number.

There is one thing about drunken moments and that is that you can always say "I was drunk" and typically most of what you did (unless its extreme) is over looked. Yes you did find out that she had a bf but you still could have gotten her number to stay in contact and be friendly with her. Since she had a bf but that doesnt mean that you two couldnt have talked. Obviously its a choice that you made not to get her number but if you have some sort of limited contact with her then both of you can get to know eachother better. Some people would have a problem with this but if you realize that at this time she is no more than a friend there shouldnt be a problem.

Great post Hockeyboy and I know exactly what you are talking about. It is irrelevant whether or not you got her phone number. The point is that you asked her out for a date...you did your bit and the fact she has a boyfriend meant it was a no-go. No dramas though. Maybe next time you feel like this and flat out ask for a date, the girl won't be attached and you may meet the girl of your dreams. If you don't ask you don't get.

The moral of the story can be summed up in two words...no regrets.

Take care and have a GREAT time in Montreal!

Rich

The moral of the story can be summed up in two words...no regrets.

EXACTLY!!! i have none about this. if i did not ask her out i would have regretted it because i would have had to live with a "what if..."

As far as getting her number...why get attached to a girl i cant have? I'll be in contact with some other people now who know her. if something happens and she is single again ill hear about it and i can find her then.

another thing is that ive gone out looking for a girl. this time i was not looking but simply just having a good time and then there she was. the whole bit about it happening when you least expect it is so true....ive never gotten a girl when i expect to.

this incident gave me the courage (not sure if thats the right word) to just flat out tell my ex everything.'

what i told her may not be the best way to get her back but i dont care...i said everything i needed to say. i told her how i would use different things as excuses to see her. i told her how i at one point was trying to manipulate her feelings. i told her i felt before like i needed her.

now i told her the truth about all that. i told her im done, im not playing anymore. i told her that i know she has this capability of supressing her emotions about things, such as me (she admitted to it) and i told her that i have developed that capability as well. i told her thats what i did when i didnt contact her for 6+ weeks and i was prepared to do it forever if she had not called me. i told her i have this capability but im choosing not to use it. i told her that i know there is some sort of connection between us and im not sure how deep it is but i know its there. i told her, that to me, for me..its not good to suppress feelings as they will only come out later. i told her that i feel she feels this connection as well and she has to make her own choice on whether or not she wants to go with it or supress it.

then i told her i had to go...and this conversation took place:

her "so what exactly are you looking for from me?"

me: "just do whatever you really truly want to do, be honest with yourself and ill be happy"

me: "i got to go, goodnight"

her: "talk to you tomorrow"

me: goodnight

her: goodnight

• 7 months later...

wow...just looking through some of my old posts. i remember that night, it seems like forever ago. i forgot about the conversation with the ex though...funny how i was right about us having a connections. yet i was wrong in what kind of "connection" Turns out, that we both do not remain friends with ex's but we have remained friends (after some time) because thats what we were meant to me.

im glad i took that chance with the middle school crush. taking chances is so important...i took a big one with the girl im with now. i had one oppurtunity and one only...and if i had not taken it, i would never be in the place i am now.

take chances