Finding Job everything's becoming a mess?

Starshine

Hi there all long story short, I have got a Bachelor's degree and it's been one year and no proper job. I am starting to feel like giving up and place where I live, it has got pretty much no vacancies in the field. Oh God! I don't know why they have this major here, if there is no job and I simply don't know what to do. There are some people here though. My family, I wish to do something for them and myself. That's what is keeping me going on. But I don't know how long I can do so. I already asked my dad for traveling elsewhere in hopes of finding something good outside. But his darling daughter, as I am he doesn't agree to let me go on my own. What should I do? I am stuck at this point?

What is your degree in and which country are you living in?

Also what are you doing to look for work? How many applications are you sending out and where are you finding the jobs you are applying for? Have you applied for anything or you have been unable to find anything to apply for?

It is hard to understand what the problem is. Normally if you can't find a job doing what you're qualified for, you should find an entry level job in the same field so that you can gain work experience. Then, when a vacancy comes along, you will be a better candidate. You are also more employable if you currently have a job. Otherwise it will be easy for someone else with a little work experience to come along and take the job.

Also, consider taking a short course to qualify you for something else in the mean time that will see you through in the future if you are ever out of work again: for example, childcare, aged care, bookkeeping, travel and tourism. It is important to add to your skill set and ensure that you will always be able to earn money.

One thing I did was to gain years of experience in hospitality, sales roles and call centres. I have not had a problem finding work since I got my first sales job because I have very versatile skills and those types of jobs are always hiring. You should look to gain skills in interviewing and one or all of the following: hospitality (as a waitress, barista, bartender), customer service, sales. Those will help you through any tough times in the future.

What is the major? Your Dad technically can't "forbid" you from travelling, either, considering I assume you're at least in your early twenties. Sometimes you do need to leave a particular area to find a job. I'm a freelancer right now but I'm considering moving to another area about two hours away where bilingualism (French and English - I'm in Canada) is not as expected.

Archived