Heartbroken at loss of grandmother

Springs

My grandmother passed away a few days ago. She was very elderly but she was such a strong, spirited, inspirational woman. I'm devastated. I went back to work today but cried my way through it and now feel worse that my colleagues have seen me so vulnerable. She was such a huge part of my life, my childhood. We were so close and while I feel accepting that she is gone, I still feel such pain and grief at her loss. I feel that people think I should be getting over it and that the grief of a grandparent shouldn't be so severe but I absolutely adored her and miss her presence already. Has anyone else experienced this?

People do not feel that you should be "getting over" it already. Everyone grieves at their own pace. If you feel yourself breaking down at work, take a break and get a cup of coffee or go for a short walk. And then get back to work.

If this is the first death you have had in your life, it can be a bit overwhelming.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, honey, your grandmother will always have a special place in your heart. You will get through it, but never over it so to speak. Suggest a book entitled "

Tear Soup". It is available on Amazon. It will help you with your feelings....help you to understand your feelings. :subdued: chi

I really understand what you're feeling.

I absolutely adored my Nonna, and I still think of her - 15 years after her death - with enormous affection and sometimes sadness. She loved me unconditionally, and it was a gift.

I didn't feel quite the devastation you do (she died at 95, and had been in a nursing home for about 3 years), but when she went there was a huge hole in my life.

Don't imagine what other people think. People know that death causes grief, and most people would understand the importance of a grandmother.

Take some time off. Be gentle with yourself, and understand that you'll feel grief for some time to come.

Archived