Coping

Man with Dog

Our finances are a train wreck. Long story, VERY long story. To sum up my top priority is to hold onto the house. We are bankrupt, so anything my wife gets paid will be taken away from us. I'm allowed to keep some of the money I make from writing but lose most of it. I sometimes even skip meals to help make ends meet.

I think I'd be more inclined to get out but sometimes feel held back by my wife. In fact some of my social anxiety is because I'm bothered that my wife will criticise my social interactions and the fear of that happening is enough to make me not enjoy being out. Even if I'm out without her, I'm still worried that something might get back to her. I have to admit a few weeks ago I made an @rse of myself without noticing how other people were reacting to it and got both barrels. I think it is an ever-decreasing circle that the less interaction I have, the more out of practice I get and the less confidence I have and greater my fear gets.

If I meet people for business, I try hard to be pleasant but don't give away much personal information but sometimes worry if my anxieties are creeping into that as well.

Unfortunately, I would need to self-harm or attempt suicide to get help in this country.

Have you done anything to work on this anxiety? I have dealt with it too for just over a year now. I don't like leaving my home either, unless I have to.

I am on anxiety med's and therapy. It does help 'take the edge off'. But, no matter how much I rather stay at home, I make myself go out. To shop, goto chiro, other apt's etc.

Once you get out there, it can be tolerable for a bit.

Worst thing to do is stay inside and avoid the world.

I've tried to talk to my wife and doctor about it but they didn't take it seriously. I'm treading on eggshells around my wife at the moment because we had a big row about money, so prefer not to bring up any difficult topics. TBH, I'm just as bad as I need to be in a receptive mood to have serious talks and don't always take her disagreement too well. Quite honestly. her temper was a big problem when we first got together and she sparked me off and the whole thing got bad. Things are a lot more peaceful now and, to be honest. I prefer to keep it that way.

Archived