Babysitting? Esty? Craigslist?

oitnb

So hopefully I will be starting school full time, five days a week, 9-5, in two weeks! I'm very excited.

The problem is I need a job, or a way to bring in some money.

I know most places aren't willing to hire someone for only two days. And I just don't think I can handle working and going to school at the same time during the week. I want to really focus on my education and get it done.

So I was thinking of maybe trying babysitting? Any tips? I'm signed up on link removed but no one is messaging me or replying to my messages.

Also, in my spare time I love to paint. I'm decent at it. I was thinking of maybe selling some paintings? The thing is, in Order to do this, I'd have to invest money I don't have into art supplies, so it could be risky. I was thinking of maybe joining esty to sell some. Any one used it to sell things? Opinions?

Also... Maybe look on craigslist for nanny/babysitter jobs. Or whatever, honestly. Anything that's willing for only two days a week. But, craigslist does have lots of creepers, so that's a risk there too.

Any and all advice welcome!!

I'm and artist and I sell stuff on Etsy. I don't do it full time. I don't make enough to earn a living, but it's still extra money.

They are a good site to sell on. It's pretty easy and hassle free. And they only charge like $0.20 per listing.

I'm and artist and I sell stuff on Etsy. I don't do it full time. I don't make enough to earn a living, but it's still extra money.

They are a good site to sell on. It's pretty easy and hassle free. And they only charge like $0.20 per listing.

How does it work if you don't mind me asking?

I don't technically need enough to make a living, (though that'd be nice) just enough to bring in some cash for gas in my vehicle and whatnot.

How does it work if you don't mind me asking?

I don't technically need enough to make a living, (though that'd be nice) just enough to bring in some cash for gas in my vehicle and whatnot.

Well, you are going into it with realistic expectations by not expecting to earn a living. That's a good thing.

It works similar to Ebay except there is no bidding. You just set your price and that's what people are required to pay. When you list an item is it listed for four months. And then you have the option to renew or not. When you sell something, Etsy does take a small commission. But honestly I don't even remember how much. It's not that much, I can tell you that.

They also have really good site analytics too.

I think Etsy is pretty legitimate. I see a lot of great stuff on there, and have bought from a store before (was happy with the product), although I've never used it to sell. Are you a good writer/interested in writing? If so, I know of some freelance writing websites you could maybe work for. Actually, even if you don't want to write, you should check out link removed. People will basically pay you $5 to do anything you advertise. It's too bad there's a $5 limit on there since I'd guess your paintings would be worth more than that, lol, although you could do some other art and design stuff for people.

I think Etsy is pretty legitimate. I see a lot of great stuff on there, and have bought from a store before (was happy with the product), although I've never used it to sell. Are you a good writer/interested in writing? If so, I know of some freelance writing websites you could maybe work for. Actually, even if you don't want to write, you should check out link removed. People will basically pay you $5 to do anything you advertise. It's too bad there's a $5 limit on there since I'd guess your paintings would be worth more than that, lol, although you could do some other art and design stuff for people.

I've never been into writing that much, but I'm decent at it. I'll check that site out!!

Etsy is a good option. I have friends that sell things they make on etsy and they earn enough for spending money but not really to live off. If you are selling highly sought after stuff then maybe you can earn more. But that takes time and effort. It's all about networking and social media and pushing your product. Waiting for someone to buy without promoting your stuff is much harder.

I don't know about Craigslist. I've never actually used it for anything but I would never go looking for a babysitter there.

Babysitting is a bit more complex (I think) than it used to be. I babysat for years and parents were, again in my opinion, less demanding. Now parents seem to want a cook, cleaner, sitter and all for a super cheap price.

As a new mother that has a babysitter for when we have dates or want to go out(that is when grandma and aunties aren't asking to looks after her) these are things I looked for in a sitter. Maybe this can help you?

- CPR and First aid course is a must. (We personally won't allow anyone to look after our child if they haven't completed the course)

- trust

- reliability

- punctuality

- respectful

- cares about the child and LIKES children

- checks with us if she isn't sure about something

We don't ask our sitter to cook or clean, we always offer any food or drinks in the house (no alcohol on the job though, of course), she can use our wifi, and watch tv. We ask that she doesn't please go into our offices.

We also have a nanny camera around and we told her this at the first meeting. For us our child's safety comes first.

She is also a university student, well spoken, really lovely and chatty. If she is going to be late she always either calls or sends a text and we are pretty understanding because we know sometimes it might take her longer to arrive if she had a later class or there was a ton of traffic etc.

She engages with our baby, loves kids in general, talks to her, laughs, cleans her when she is dirty and all around does a really great job - basically everything a sitter should do.

We aim to stay home until bedtime but sometimes that ain't possible and she puts her to bed on time or if our baby is cranky she will hold her and soother her until she calms down and falls asleep.

Incase of any emergency or anything we always leave a car key for her in which there is a baby seat. She hasn't used it ever but it's there if for some reason she ends up needing it.

As a former babysitter myself I know it can be stressful caring for someones child because you don't want to do anything wrong or upset the parents. So, as long as you leave the house like you found it, clean up after yourself and care for the child it's all good.

One thing we did ask during the interview was to please not spend the whole night talking on the phone as it can be distracting.

We don't mind a short conversation but if she's spending hours on the phone then her attention is no longer on the baby and its safety.

Ours is thankfully really great and respectful she spends most of the time in our daughters nursery playing with her and even after she puts her to bed. She did ask if she could study after the baby goes to sleep and we said yes. So is usually on her iPad with school books around or laptop. She is a law student so there is a ton of schoolwork she has which she does after the baby goes to sleep. We have no problem with that especially since she's just a foot away from the crib and facing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived