FINALLY getting it together :D

So I've finally sat down and after careful consideration decided what I want to do as a career.

A substance abuse counselor! There is a community college in my state that offers a program for it that is only a year or so. I'm excited.

I'm going tomorrow to meet with an academic advisor and sort everything out.

After I figure out my class schedule, I'm gonna then move on to finding a solid part time job in the meantime!

And I have a month before bathing suit season. It's time to tackle down and lose these last 10 or so pounds so I can have the first summer of my LIFE where I'm confident in a bathing suit.

Anyone here work in the substance abuse field? Any tips?

Any health tips for these last tricky pounds? They're mostly all in my belly and GAH they won't go away! Lol

Just wanted to share the news with you all

Yes, I do. The addiction/recovery field can be mentally draining yet rewarding. This decision should be because you enjoy helping others, can be compassionate, and truly are passionate about this field. What kind of program is this? An associates? You plateau out in terms of advancing, unless you get state certification or licensure. Most alcohol drug Certs require at minimum an associates with a certain amount of supervised on the job training(ie 2000 hrs). The more education(bachelors/masters) the more $, career mobility, and the higher the cert. you will NOT get rich in this field.

Not looking to get rich, just looking to do something I will enjoy. I will graduate with an associates of applied science in mental health/addiction studies/developmental disorders. After graduating I will have to take a test through my state and if I pass I will be certified for substance abuse counseling.

Trust me. Don't do it! It is the worst career choice I ever made. I nearly got killed by my clients more than once, I'm serious nearly physically killed . Expect it to be emotionally draining and life destroying. Your faith in humanity will be at a all time low if you go down this path.

Do you have any personal experiences with substance abuse yourself, as in had issues with drugs/alcohol yourself that you've overcome, or friends or family that you know intimately who have addictions and may or may not have overcome them?

It can be very rewarding, but it is also very difficult because of the high recidivism rate for susbtance abusers. So lots of rewards when you help, but also lots of disappointments when they either con you and don't really intend to get clean but to 'behave' for a while because they got busted, or when they repeatedly relapse in their weakness.

So it can be rewarding, but it is not a cake walk or easy job and usually best held by people who have overcome addition themselves or spent many years with family members/friends who were addicted so that they know what they are signing up for.

I'm not in substance abuse counseling, but I am in mental health. I agree with the other posters that have said the work can be very challenging, but also rewarding if you get in for the right reasons. Self care is key. You probably do plenty of things now to make yourself feel good and to relax, but working in that type of field you'll find you need to do more.

You also have to keep firm boundaries. There is always another client to help, more paperwork to do, another phone call to make, etc. It is not the kind of job that by 5pm you've totally cleared your desk and there's no work left. You just have to accept that you did all you could for the day and force yourself to leave. Staying a few minutes late just this once will quickly turn into staying several hours late all the time.

As for weight loss tips? A few years ago I did the 17 Day Diet and still incorporate several aspects of it in my life. I lost quite a bit of weight and have done a really good job keeping it off.

Do you have any personal experiences with substance abuse yourself, as in had issues with drugs/alcohol yourself that you've overcome, or friends or family that you know intimately who have addictions and may or may not have overcome them?

It can be very rewarding, but it is also very difficult because of the high recidivism rate for susbtance abusers. So lots of rewards when you help, but also lots of disappointments when they either con you and don't really intend to get clean but to 'behave' for a while because they got busted, or when they repeatedly relapse in their weakness.

So it can be rewarding, but it is not a cake walk or easy job and usually best held by people who have overcome addition themselves or spent many years with family members/friends who were addicted so that they know what they are signing up for.

My mother has been addicted off/on to prescription pills for as long as I can remember. A lot of my family members are alcoholics, and I lost an uncle to alcohol when he literally drank himself to death. So yes, I've been around addicts most of my life and I know how daunting it can be.

The whole boundaries thing is probably what I will need to focus on with future clients. I can be VERY giving with friends and family and I will make sure not to do it with clients.

I will look up the 17 day diet! Thank you!

Archived