Tips on becoming a vegetarian

After seeing a few videos on how animals in the meat industry are treated, and crying my eyes out while watching them, I've decided I want to become a vegetarian.

I'm very nervous on how to make this transition though! I've always centered my meals around meat. Any tips from any other vegetarians?

Study nutrition - if you just wing it with advice from strangers you'll get sick. Btw, I treat my chickens very kindly so realize not all people who keep animals for food treat them the same way.

Oh I know. I have nothing against humanely farm raised animals. But unfortunately in the USA most meat animals are from large "factories" and treated less than acceptable. I plan on getting a few books on it soon, just wanted a few tips.

There are lots of recipes online. Start trying them out. If you've done much cooking you can look at a recipe and get an idea of how it will taste and if you'll like it or not, if not, try finding recipes that seem similar to foods you know you like and are used to eating. If you decide to try things like meatless "meat" to substitute in recipes, don't expect it to taste the same as it does with meat, it will taste different so be open to that. Most restaurants have meatless options so order those. Best of luck!

Congratulations on your choice! I became vegetarian at 15 (1985) and simply took meat out of my diet the next day. About 10 years later I removed dairy from my diet as well, and I've never looked back!

My reasons for doing so were ethical (re: animals & the environment), but over the years I've really been thankful for the health benefits. I've maintained a healthy weight, low blood pressure, low cholesterol and no chronic illnesses, and I believe my vegan diet is a big reason why.

I'd say the main thing you should do is expand your palette to all different cuisines so you don't get bored! Japanese, Mexican, Ethiopian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and many other cultures have a wealth of delicious vegetarian items, or dishes that can be made meat-free with a little bit of ingenuity.

Learning how to cook will also be helpful, as will avoiding the desire to admonish and preach to meateaters

I'm happy to answer more specific questions as you have them!

You need to research. Some food wouldn't seem to have animal products in it but it does, like jell-o. What level of being an vegetarian are you wanting to be? Research that and then research what recipes you could do. Not to be mean, but there are two types of vegetarians I've noticed. One that is committed to his/her health as well because I have a friend that cooks complicated food, simply because it doesn't have the usual stuff everyone eats but has replacements such as using nuts for protein somehow or whatever. The other kind, another friend isn't really focused on her health, just refuses meat and settles on what's left and easy. But then, processed food isn't good for everybody. Just saying that, if you're able to eat meat, it's easier to since there are more food out there unlike vegetarian replacements/recipes. You just have to put in more effort in this. Also research if there's any vitamins you should take as well (I think there's some?).

If you don't even want milk as well but are craving sweets such as cookies, lemme know. There's a cookies company, 100% vegetarian, and is the bomb. They're so addicting.

Oh I know. I have nothing against humanely farm raised animals. But unfortunately in the USA most meat animals are from large "factories" and treated less than acceptable. I plan on getting a few books on it soon, just wanted a few tips.

Well you could always go another way and just pay the premium to buy animal products that don't come from factory farms - supporting your local farmer. Any whole foods sells Marin sun farms, Niman ranch and the like. I advise against just trying out recipes. You need to understand how to get the protein you need on a regular basis, which means you hoose recipes around that need as part of a planned out diet.

Well, I want to start out by just cutting out any meat and also, eggs. And then perhaps doing some research and seeing what food have "hidden" animal by products (like jello). I want to take it slow tho, not go from meat eater to full blown vegan in one day lol. I'm doing it mostly for ethical reasons. I've been toying with the idea for a few years and seeing those videos really sealed the deal for me.

Well you could always go another way and just pay the premium to buy animal products that don't come from factory farms - supporting your local farmer. Any whole foods sells Marin sun farms, Niman ranch and the like. I advise against just trying out recipes. You need to understand how to get the protein you need on a regular basis, which means you hoose recipes around that need as part of a planned out diet.

I've read many places that we actually consume more meat and protien than we need. And many veggies and fruits actually have protein! I will make sure I'm getting my protein tho.

Don't forget all those cute leather shoes, belts, and handbags. Wool. Automobiles, bicycles, Toothpaste, sugar, plastic shopping bags.

Never had any leather item my whole life. Or wool? Cotton yes, but wool? You're being a bit condescending.

Never had any leather item my whole life. Or wool? Cotton yes, but wool? You're being a bit condescending.

I don't get it - are you doubting wool comes from animals? Is every sweater you own polyester? I have tons of arious wool sweaters. Shoes have rubber soles and use glue, so those are out too. Heck even skateboards have rubber grommets in the trucks. Basic transportation will be a challenge. It's far easier to do for health reasons than ethical reasons.

I don't think pl3sehelp was meaning to be condescending...many products do contain hidden animal products or were tested on animals.

I was a vegetarian for 26 years...I've recently started eating meat again because I want to eat less processed foods (and all my tofu meat substitutes were very processed). Advice? It's about being prepared. When going for dinner at a friends, ask if you can bring a vegetarian side dish to share with everyone (in case the main course is meat), research restaurants online before you go so you know what you can have on the menu...pack snacks in your car (like lara bars or apple sauce) in case you're somewhere where their isn't veggie options. Good luck on your quest...it's a noble one

*free the bees! Don't buy honey!

I doubted posting this thread because i was worried it'd turn into some sort of debate, guess I was right... Wow.

How is it a debate? I'm all for you stopping using animal products. Just pointed out a few most people don't realize are animal products. That's the reason I'm not a vegetarian - it would be nearly impossible for me to avoid animal products. Maybe it will be easier for you.

link removed and link removed both have hundreds and hundreds of great recipes listed, along with health-related information. Peta especially has lots of information about how to make a healthy transition.

I'm a vegan and love it. Fruits, veggies, beans, greens, nuts, seeds, seaweed, soy products (tofu, miso).... there's so much else out there to eat and enjoy! Also check out vegetarian recipes on Pinterest, there's tons listed there, too.

Good for you for making this choice!

How is it a debate? I'm all for you stopping using animal products. Just pointed out a few most people don't realize are animal products. That's the reason I'm not a vegetarian - it would be nearly impossible for me to avoid animal products. Maybe it will be easier for you.

It went from me becoming a vegetarian, to me not being able to go shopping, brush my teeth, or travel. Of course one person can't make a huge impact. I'm doing this because I want too. As for all the items with animal by products, if you read one of my previous comments I said id do my research on that.

I don't think pl3sehelp was meaning to be condescending...many products do contain hidden animal products or were tested on animals.

I was a vegetarian for 26 years...I've recently started eating meat again because I want to eat less processed foods (and all my tofu meat substitutes were very processed). Advice? It's about being prepared. When going for dinner at a friends, ask if you can bring a vegetarian side dish to share with everyone (in case the main course is meat), research restaurants online before you go so you know what you can have on the menu...pack snacks in your car (like lara bars or apple sauce) in case you're somewhere where their isn't veggie options. Good luck on your quest...it's a noble one

*free the bees! Don't buy honey!

Thank you!

link removed and link removed both have hundreds and hundreds of great recipes listed, along with health-related information. Peta especially has lots of information about how to make a healthy transition.

I'm a vegan and love it. Fruits, veggies, beans, greens, nuts, seeds, seaweed, soy products (tofu, miso).... there's so much else out there to eat and enjoy! Also check out vegetarian recipes on Pinterest, there's tons listed there, too.

Good for you for making this choice!

I had a Pinterest a while back, it's pretty cool! I'll start using it again. Thank you for the links

I don't eat meat. Here is what I do eat:

-beans and lentils

-loads of vegetables, especially kale, rapini, tomatoes, red peppers and sweet potato

-nuts and seeds of all kinds

-fruits

-quinoa

-cheese and milk

-eggs

If you don't like eating lots of legumes then you'll have to figure out how else to get the protein. Too much tofu isn't good for women, btw. Also, legumes are high in carbs so you may need to cut back of your intake of grains or you might be getting to many carbs in your diet, especially if you eat a lot of fruit.

Try to see a nutritionist or at least start researching and reading books.

It went from me becoming a vegetarian, to me not being able to go shopping, brush my teeth, or travel. Of course one person can't make a huge impact. I'm doing this because I want too. As for all the items with animal by products, if you read one of my previous comments I said id do my research on that.

I gotcha - just giving you a head start on your research - there are many, many more animal products as you'll learn. Talking to someone like the other poster who spent 26 years as a vegetarian will also be key.

I was a vegetarian for 26 years...I've recently started eating meat again because I want to eat less processed foods (and all my tofu meat substitutes were very processed).

Yeah, definitely don't start eating a bunch of processed junk food. You can get all your nutritional requirements from real whole foods.

Archived