Does this make me a bad employee?

Yes that's exactly what I've noticed the past three or four years. It probably isn't as noticeable to people who aren't Gen Y or close to it, or are already established in their careers.

It was like that when I was starting out too. I benefited a huge amount from going the extra mile so even if I was being taken "advantage" of we mutually benefited. It's all good. I had a number of mentors who I worked very hard for. I didn't see it as a "what can you do for me" relationship -I saw it as a mutually beneficial professional relationship. Worked for me and that's an understatement.

A lot of companies will push push push push until you stop it..and im not talking in a good way..my old company did it..they knew exactly who they could push..and they would go to that person first..because they knew that person wouldnt be able to say no....I did my share..i put my time in but sometimes if i had things to do or I needed a weekend off, why cant i say no....I didnt feel bad about it...

It was like that when I was starting out too. I benefited a huge amount from going the extra mile so even if I was being taken "advantage" of we mutually benefited. It's all good. I had a number of mentors who I worked very hard for. I didn't see it as a "what can you do for me" relationship -I saw it as a mutually beneficial professional relationship. Worked for me and that's an understatement.

Just curious, what field are you in?

Just curious, what field are you in?

The field I was in and plan to return to someday (am now a full-time mom) was very intense and highly competitive, fairly male-dominated. That's all I care to share Before that I was involved in education for about 3 years (my most recent career was 15 years).

Don't feel bad. Very few people can uproot their life and leave for 3 days with just a few hours notice, regardless of what kind of job they have. It's kind of shady of your boss, to put the new guy on the spot like that... He knows that you would feel inclined to say yes.

Don't worry about it

Meh, depends on what your priorities are and the industry, I suppose. I've had an experience with such employers and have heard too many "horror" stories where they end up expecting you to be at their beck and call to the point it intrudes in your personal life because you did go that "extra mile" in the way of being so available. I'm cynical about it so I'd rather go that extra mile in other ways.

I think there is a big difference in employers/employees of different generations. I don't know for sure, RachaelRosen, but I would guess that you are around my age (26), while Bayta may be a bit older than us (40-50ish?)

My dad has worked for the same company for his entire life. He is loyal to them, they are loyal to him. They would very rarely "screw him over" and he would rarely do the same to them. But it doesn't seem to work that way now. I don't know if it's because of the recession or people are more money-hungry - I don't know. I'm only 26 but I've worked my fair share of jobs, and there have been very few that I felt "secure" and "loyal". I usually am more than willing to go above and beyond (it's not like I have a kid at home or anything else that requires my time), but I don't feel like my company would respect me the same way. I can think of several times where I've asked "Can I have a raise? I've been here 2 years and raised profits [whatever percent]" or "Can I have [this day] off? My parents are visiting from out of town" -- to which managers usually reply, "Pfft, you're lucky you even HAVE a job. People would kill for your job right now." There's always that nagging in the back of your mind that you could be "let go" any minute. I don't think that's something our parents had to deal with as much as we do.

Anyway, kind of off topic.. Just something I notice whenever a discussion comes up about jobs and different generations.

I have a quick thought on that, just in reading this...

Just as it is easier for us to find and apply for jobs now, it is also easier for employers to advertise their jobs and get hundreds of qualified applicants.

Double edged sword...whereas in the old days where our parents would have barely known where to start to find a new job, their employers were further stuck with the problem of filling a vacancy that might sit for months before they found somebody new.

The man who taught my Management course for my Masters program spoke freely about how when he felt like he needed a raise, he'd go to his boss and ask for it - and every time his boss gave him the raise. He earned the raises, of course, but he spoke of a brazen approach I know would probably not fly now. I do know that in the past, thought, by not asking for a raise, I was cutting myself short, whereas one of my previous employers had given out raises as people asked for them. I just never thought to ask, I suppose. No issue, they hired me for a year after graduation either way.

I'm in my late 40s and exited the work force temporarily at age 42. I didn't have that loyalty you describe your parents as having -but I know what you're talking about. It was the same as you described above - I had to deal with that plus some (especially during recession years in the 1990s and 2008). And I always went the extra mile - because it was part of my career, part of advancement - and I didn't see it as being taken advantage of. Had I chosen not to I probably wouldn't have been able, as easily to fulfill my dream of being a full-time mom for a couple of years.

I don't think it's a big deal, it's a lot to ask of someone and they're probably not expecting you to say yes. I've been asked a few times at my job to do things that I didn't want to do, like change my relatively normal shift to a graveyard shift with no notice, and they understand when I say no, because it's kind of a ridiculous expectation to have of someone, and they probably recognize that.

Archived