Have any of you ever just moved?

brokenhearted1

So not too long ago (as some of you may know) I went through a pretty tough breakup. A couple of weeks ago I went on a vacation to see a couple friends in a big city to kind of get away. I had such an amazing time up there, and felt so much better. I came home and just felt kind of down. And it's about more then just post vaca blues...I am not happy here and haven't been for awhile. Taking the vacation was one big reminder of why I want to move. We had so much more stuff to do up there, and I met so many new people.

I'm an extrovert and like making new friends. In my town I always see the same people and go to the same places. I'M BORED. I also have a bachelors degree, but there aren't many jobs here for me with that degree. I also want to go to grad school, but there aren't any schools in my area. A lot of people are telling me oh just stop it with all of that, but inside I feel it's time for me to take a leap and just go. My biggest concern is that I have kids, and not as much help in a city where I don't know anyone. But I feel stuck here, and can make a lot better of an income in the bigger cities.

There's also a lot more culture and diversity there that I love. I was thinking about saving up some money and making a few more trips up there and checking out some of the different areas, and maybe making a move next summer or something. I have a couple of friends that live up there, but no close family. But then again I literally only have one fam member I am close with anyways.

I was wondering if any of you have ever moved to a new and different area, and how that worked out? Any advice?

I do it all the time.

I'm trying to STOP doing it, lol.

A lot of people are afraid of it, but I thrive on it, almost to a toxic degree.

It isn't good tow ant to start over constantly.

A more mentall sound person would be able to deal with what they have & adjust.

However, if you have any specific questions, message me.

I pick uo & leav quite frequently, lol.

Apart from going to university in a different town as a teenager, I've made two major relocations - i.e. to a different part of the country - in the last 25 years. With each of them, my life improved beyond all recognition.

Even if you don't know anyone to begin with, that will change - especially as the improved opportunities will bring you in contact with a new range of people. Your heart clearly isn't in the area where you live now, and if your move doesn't work out you can always move back again.

What's really beaming out from your post is a longing for the city life you describe. My advice to you is GO FOR IT. You can anticipate all the problems which might arise, and how you'd deal with them, so you can be well prepared. It's a risk, for sure. But you need to measure that risk against the certainty that you'll stagnate if you stay where you are.

Good luck!

I do it all the time.

I'm trying to STOP doing it, lol.

A lot of people are afraid of it, but I thrive on it, almost to a toxic degree.

It isn't good tow ant to start over constantly.

A more mentall sound person would be able to deal with what they have & adjust.

However, if you have any specific questions, message me.

I pick uo & leav quite frequently, lol.

This is so me...I would thrive on the moving. I am a free spirit. If it wasn't for my kids I would have taken the first 100 bucks I made after my 18th Birthday and bought a ticket to somewhere and made it work.

Yes i have moved several times to many different types of cities in my country. Sometimes it was for school, or a job, or to be closer to family or to live that city life. I find I get the itch to experience a new place every couple of years. The longest I have stayed in any one city (aside from my hometown) was 4 years for university. I would love to live in another country entirely but i doubt that will happen.

I will say though, that if you move to a city alone, and have no real support (i'm talking family and long-time friends that are essentially family) it an be rough when something bad happens. I lived in a city about 10 hours away from my family and long-time friends several years ago when i got really chronically sick. My new friends in the new city were not really there for me the way my fam or old friends would have been, I was also single at the time so had no BF support and it was tough. I felt very alone and had no one to help me (like when I had to go to the emergency room at 3am by myself, and when i was so sick i could barely stand but still had to feed myself and get groceries).

This is the one thing that keeps me from moving away too far now. I try to stay a bit closer to family, but thankfully I have family spread out throughout my country.

Well, you can't really pick up & move when you have kids, unless there's something to gain & unforuntately satsifying your inner free spirit isn't one of them when children are involved.

Unless you can get something solid worked out I don't think moving just to move isn't a good idea.

Oh yes I understand that. Like I said though it will help with me being able to use the degree now, and get an advanced degree. I've known for awhile that I am going to have to suck it up and move to a bigger area, it's just kinda scary.

One of my girls are disabled as well, and right now we have to drive an hour and a half to see doctors for her. We would have everything we need in a bigger area.

I've done it several times. Scary, but totally worth it.

Granted, I didn't have kids at the time, but things always worked out. With kids in tow, I think I'd put a lot more thought and planning into any move (and I do), so if you're prepared and you have a "worst case scenario" contingency plan... I'd say go for it! Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons and not just to run away.

Archived