Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Why is it that..... What is your OP?

catcountry

I got home from a road trip today and the whole ride home I was thinking....... Why is it the drive to the destination is torture and seems to take forever yet the drive back home seems to go by so quickly? We all know how exciting it is to leave on vacation after all the planning preperation but at the end of the vacation it's also exciting to get back home to your own bed. Why is it, that the same distance seems to take less time on the way home vs. the way there? What's your theory?

Hi there. New to the forums. I know part of the reason it seems I get home faster is because my thoughts are completely on the vacation I took. Sometimes my head is still "vacation mode" on the road. Sort of like a summary going through my head of all the fun places and stuff I did. Getting there is different depending where I'm going. I guess it's more of the anticipation that makes it longer when I'm driving to my destination.

You've already experienced the drive home (just in reverse on the way there), so to your brain it is familiar territory. Familiar routes seem to go by faster because they take less processing space.

While this makes perfect sense for a typical there and back trip this time around we drove the same distance but didn't take the same route both ways. It's a good thing tho because I was dreading the 2nd 7 hour stretch heading in the homeward direction. It went by so quickly.

Archived