35lbs up

Finding out why and how you started gaining weight in the first place could be a start. Do you eat out of stress? Is work getting to you and you find yourself eating more? Just because you are 35lbs extra over the past few months doesn't mean you are huge. Start running in the mornings or whenever you have free time for 30 minutes. It isn't long but it adds up over time and you will lose weight slowly. You can lose weight I believe in you.

Have you thought about reading some books on binging to help you stop? Binging is usually about trying to run away from feelings and comfort yourself, and you need to find things other than food to do that with... increase your coping skills and deal with the feelings that are leading you to binge. You could lose the weight but it will come back if you don't deal with the source of your feelings that are leading to binging.

There are lots of good books on the subject:

link removed

Thanks for all your replies. My weight has always been up and down, I tend to comfort eat, which i started off doing (7months ago i broke up with someone) but then i got over that and dont care about that now, infact i am loving being single but now i still have this habit of just eating all the time, i just have no motivation at the moment. I feel as though food has become my drug. I need to snap out of this but just cant i know i just need to break the habit

>>I need to snap out of this but just cant i know i just need to break the habit

Why don't you read some of the books from that link i posted? They can give you great motivation and help you understand why you do this and give you the tools you need to stop...

Thank you lavenderdove, I am going to buy one of these tonight, i think this could be the thing i need.

I think i have developed a minor addiction to sugar, i also think through years of dieting and yo yo-ing up and down with my weight i have lost perspective of what 'normal' eating is, Binge...starve.....binge....starve......binge......starve, has been this way for the last few years, I think i need to educate myself on sensible eating and stop crash dieting on starvation diets which eventually just lead to wanting to stuff your face when you give yourself a 'treat'.

Does anyone else have similar stories/experiences?

Yep, I have gone through it too. I still go through it and it's been a huge struggle to control. Wish I could say I found a cure, but I'm still learning. Just saw this article and thought you might like to see it.

link removed

I've tried a lot of different approaches to my eating- never eat sugar/carbs, moderate sugar/carbs...then just go crazy on them lol, but I feel my best when I pretty much don't eat them at all. But it's hard, and I don't know if it is feasible.

I do believe that starving leads to binges, but does depriving sugar lead to them as well? I know I didn't crave carbs/sugar when I didn't eat them, but my mind wanted them still. It's like you're "missing out" if you can't eat cake at a party. Sigh.

Thanks for the article Marah, thinking about it...i often eat carby stuff like chocolate and bread, its so hard to find food that are still filling but not got many carbs in. If i eat just a salad i am hungry 2 hours later!

Also if you completely cut something out u will crave it more, thats what i have learnt! Maybe you could try eating wholemeal bread and wholemeal pasta, the bread actually tastes better than white bread after a while.

I have been eating better the last few days and lost 1lbs lol yay so only 34 to go lol

So i weighed myself today and have lost another 3lbs! I am not starving myself i promise! I think it came off so quick because the weight went on so quick!

yesterday i had a slice of toast and houmous for breakfast, moroccan cous cous and a fruit bar for lunch and then a prawn and asparagus super food salad for dinner, plus 2 glasses of wine. I am feeling v inspired now to continue this healthy eating, yay im happy.

Going to use this thread as a bit of a diary/blog for my weight loss, feel free to comment if u want, or if anyone wants to keep a diary of their weight loss too.

31lbs to go

• 3 weeks later...

American size 8 are you kidding me? Maybe you needed the weight gain, are you sure you have a proper body image? Ok, that aside, if you are really overweight, just know that losing it NOW is better than carrying it around as it gets harder and harder to lose as we age, and as your body gets "used" to the additional weight. Every excess pound puts 5 pounds of additional stress on your knees. That was my motivation to lose weight.

Hey Cherry, let me start by saying that a size 12 isn't big at all! But I know what you mean about feeling unhappy with yourself, regardless of a 12 not necessarily being big. How tall are you?

I used to binge eat a lot and was almost 2 stone heavier than I am now. I'm 5"5 and now 9st 12lb but with binge/comfort eating I weighed 11st 10lb at my heaviest. When I originally dropped the weight the main thing I did was exercising rather than necessarily cutting out all of the food I loved so much. I'm trying to lose a little more now and tone up too so I'm going to the gym 3 times a week. I find that the gym has the double benefit of the exercise but also that I don't want to eat rubbish afterwards cos of all the hard work I've put in!

A tip for stopping the binge eating - whenever I am watching TV in the evening (which is when I used to eat the most) I make sure my hands are busy by doing needlework. I know that's quite a strange thing but I have some lovely pictures and they make sweet gifts, plus I'm not eating! Win win

If you know what you want to do, and you go forth to achieve it, you can make it happen. Plan on it taking 7 months.

I have an issue where I forget to eat, and I don't have much food in my apartment today, but when I need something I reach for carrots and celery. Being hungry is Ok, just makes sure your meals are balanced when you eat them so you don't end up deficient, nutrition wise...

Being hungry is Ok,

My problem is I get a bad headache when I'm hungry. That has always been my downfall. I don't mind the hunger in and of itself, but I get so paranoid about the debilitating headaches I get when I'm hungry. Now I am on a more protein loaded diet and that seems to work. No, I don't have blood sugar issues, I have been tested. Don't know why the headaches from hunger.

Hey, thanks i know i am not huge but all my clothes are tight and i refuse to go out and buy a new wardrobe of clothes! I am doing well though. I actually think for me that weighing myself makes me get obsessive so i am not weighing myself but an measuring what i have lost by getting back into my old clothes. I am defo shrinking 9st 7lbs is my target though so when i feel i am near that i think i will weigh myself. I am exercising a lot more now too, good idea about keeping your hands busy! and well donw on your weightloss

My problem is I get a bad headache when I'm hungry. That has always been my downfall. I don't mind the hunger in and of itself, but I get so paranoid about the debilitating headaches I get when I'm hungry. Now I am on a more protein loaded diet and that seems to work. No, I don't have blood sugar issues, I have been tested. Don't know why the headaches from hunger.

i get headaches too, try drinking a lot of water....it helps!

I actually think for me that weighing myself makes me get obsessive so i am not weighing myself but an measuring what i have lost by getting back into my old clothes.

I think that's a really healthy attitude to have. Plus you're weight fluctuates throughout the day anyway so using your clothes as a guide will eliminate the disappointment that you maybe weigh more at one weigh-in. (Say you weighed yourself in an evening and weighed a few pounds more than that morning for example.)

Archived