sometimes I miss the most obvious clues

GirlontheLam

So I thought I'd share my own cluelessness with you guys, based on something that happened this weekend.

A few months ago, I went out with a couple of friends to a mini food festival. There were maybe a dozen vendors, and my friends and I all picked different stuff to eat. One vendor was trying to tempt us with a type of food I am not into, but my friend gave it a try and loved it. We chatted a bit with the proprietor while he was preparing her dish, and said goodbyes. Like most people in those sort of things, he was pretty friendly and told us to come by again. They are hoping to open a physical restaurant in the coming months and are just doing events during the preparations.

A few weeks ago there was another food fest, and this time I went with a different set of friends. I was first to arrive and while perusing the options, the same vendor was back. This time he calls out to me "Hey, I remember you, you were here a few weeks ago with your friends." He introduces himself, we chat for a bit, then my friends arrive. He mentions an event he is catering and invites us to drop by. (The menu has stuff that I like and not the limited menu I skipped before).

This weekend, my friends and I had no dinner plans, and this event was hosted at a place that we hadn't been to in a while, so we decided to go. It is a casual place, where you order at the register, and they deliver the food to your table.

I get there, put my name on the list, and order a drink while waiting for the of the group. He sees me and proclaims "you came!" I chat for bit, and then we head back to the waiting area.

Our table is ready, and I am ordering for a few of us, and he comes up makes more comments while I am ordering with the cashier. We ordered one of the items that you wait for at the register, and as the waitress is about to give us the plate, he adds a few extra bites on the plate. For the whole night, the wait staff is super attentive. And midway through our meal he comes over to our table and says, I am taking a break, can I sit here? We say sure, do a round of intros, and then he starts telling us about himself and his projects.

And then says, "I am so busy, I haven't had time to find a girlfriend!" And then there is a crisis in the kitchen and he leaves.

And then when we leave, he says goodbye, and gives us hugs. And then later in the night my friends said, he was totally flirting. I guess I missed those clues. Must have been the impact of low bood sugar.

I guess I'll see what happens with him at the next food fest!

I'm not sure I'd say he was flirting. Now if he had just hugged you or just put extra food on your plate then sure I'd say he was flirting. But it sounds like he treated everyone in your group the same which is exactly what a new business owner should be doing to earn repeat business. I don't even think it's that telling that he recognized you because again that's precisely what he should be doing considering the industry he is in. Now if you see him again and he focuses more on you and you're into him then go for it.

I'm not sure I'd say he was flirting. Now if he had just hugged you or just put extra food on your plate then sure I'd say he was flirting. But it sounds like he treated everyone in your group the same which is exactly what a new business owner should be doing to earn repeat business. I don't even think it's that telling that he recognized you because again that's precisely what he should be doing considering the industry he is in. Now if you see him again and he focuses more on you and you're into him then go for it.

I was more thinking about the other cues of taking a break at our table, and dropping hints about his lack of a girlfriend.

Archived