A few health concerns;underweight, vision,etc

Rose101

Allow me to explain first that I have limited access to money, transportation, doctors, for now. But maybe you can still give advice from your basic knowledge of health. Basic knowledge is what I would take rather than guesswork. Because with basic stuff it makes sense to resolve my health problems.

I just turned 22 and I am a female. I was breast fed and my bone structure is not small. I am 5 feet and 9 inches with weight of 105 ponds. That is very skinny. My family has been skinny but when they turned 20 they gained weight. I however, don't. Anyway, being underweight is one problem but I have heavy periods, my vision is becoming worse and worse [i started noticing in 9th to 10th grade], my hair is falling out, and my lower back pain I always feel.

Weight: I eat three times a day. Sometimes heavy meals. But not in "restaurants" rather most of it is from scrach and heavy in protein, not in calories. I eat mostly stews and sometimes meat. Stews with potaoes, stews with beans, and sometimes just vegetables.

Basic advice: "Eat a lot." Well, I can't. Pills? I can't buy them now. I go to doctors in past, they just confirm you're healthy unless you're sick. Of course, they wouldn't know unless they check everything in my system though their exams.

So, how can I confirm I am healthy? I really do not want to see Nutrisionalists, etc...[and let's not dicuss this either, pleae] because they can't help unless they found though exam any lack of protein, etc.. maybe there is blood work test of such?

I do not want health insurance [please let's not discuss this] I think an blood work test is around 20 dollars.

Anyway, I am 5 '9 with 105 pounds. All advice is welcome.

My vision. I can see up close, but not afar. Is there any treatment for this. Can this be caused by lack of nutrition? Is there a cure for this, even a surgery? I hate it and I do not want glasses and definitely not contacts.

My hair falling out. It could be genes because my motehr experiences the same problem as well as my little sister. We all have thin, soft, hair. But throughout years its thinning more and more....!!!

There isn't anything you can do to correct your vision, short of buying glasses or having surgery. About the weight & back pain, there are a few things you can do.

Here is part of an article on gaining weight in a healthy way:

Recommended Ways to Gain Weight

Have meals with the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and the right kinds of fat (such as unsaturated and monounsaturated fats, olive oil, canola oil, pistachios, almonds and walnuts). Heinemann suggests the following ratio: 60%-70% carbohydrates, 10%-15% protein, and a small amount of fat.

Eat foods higher in calories, vitamins, and minerals, as opposed to higher in fat or sugar.

Pack more nutritious calories in each serving. For example, you may add grated cooked eggs to mashed potatoes, ground chicken to soups and gravies, cheese in casseroles, eggs, and soups, and nonfat dried milk in soups, shakes, milk, and mashed potatoes.

If you get too full too fast, try having more high-calorie foods or slices of foods as opposed to consuming the whole thing (raisins versus grapes, granola and Grape Nuts versus corn flakes, mango slices versus the whole mango).

Limit drinking beverages to a half-hour before and after a meal.

Drink mixed juices (apple/berry, peach/orange/banana as opposed to one juice beverages) for a higher calorie intake.

Try a small amount of alcohol (4 ounces of wine, 6 ounces of beer, or a half-ounce of liquor with juice) before a meal, as it could stimulate appetite. Moore warns, however, that this recommendation must be cleared with your doctor, especially if you are on any medication. Too much alcohol can be detrimental to health, and could lessen your resolve for eating healthy.

With moderation, you may add in good fat sources to meals such as nuts, avocado, olives, and fatty fish (salmon and mackerel).

Snack in between meals. Nuts, dried fruits, and yogurt are good options, but it's also important to find nutritious foods that you will enjoy.

Have a nutritious snack before bedtime, such as a peanut butter sandwich.

source: link removed

About your back pain: your muscles may not be strong enough to support your frame, so look up some exercises that strengthen those muscles in your back. It should improve within a month or so, if you keep at it.

Well, I'm no doctor but if you want health following just the basic advice everyone gets of eating well, sufficient sleep, maybe a decent multi-vitamin and exercising is a good place to start. As to the skinny part I couldn't easily gain weight until I hit my 40s, now of course I can't keep it off. So I wouldn't worry as much about that unless you've dropped a ton of weight overnight since some of us are just skinny by nature. Eating healthy is the bigger concern. As to the eyesight, sorry it sounds like you need glasses and whether this suddenly developed out of nowhere or not you need to see an optometrist on that, no other way around it. The back pain and other things, again sorry but these need to be checked out by a doctor if there's no attributable cause to them--i.e. you having to lift heavy objects daily for instance. If you don't have health insurance you should still try to find a free or low income clinic somewhere and go get a basic physical for starters. I'm not sure where you live, but there must be places like that. It's what I do since I gave up health insurance a long time ago when I found myself having to fight with them to pay medical bills that were nowhere near as expensive as their coverage was. When it comes to matters of health all anyone who isn't a doctor looking at you in person and studying tests can really tell you is basic healthcare advice--i.e. eat right, get enough sleep and exercise with a program that's right for your body and any health issues you may have. Outside of that we'd just be guessing and that's never healthy.

The one piece of advice I will pass on that doesn't take a doctor to tell you is to keep stress out of your life as much as possible. I found that alone could cause more physical problems for me than anything else and all sorts of weird symptoms disappeared when I started doing yoga and retired from a very stressful profession. Sorry I can't be of more help, but there really isn't any substitute for a good physical done by a competent medical practitioner. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your advice.

There isn't anything you can do to correct your vision, short of buying glasses or having surgery

Smile. I have glasses. I don't have health insurance becuase most doctors visits are affordable unles syou have serious health issues...

PCP: 40$ a visit

Xray:250 dollars, etc...You have to pay this much and more for health insuranc eyou don't use much.

Anyway, thanks. i read on another thread about being fat skinny something...anyway, I'd like tohear guesses too..

About your back pain: your muscles may not be strong enough to support your frame, so look up some exercises that strengthen those muscles in your back. It should improve within a month or so, if you keep at it.
Thanks. It could be because I'm bone hurting skin or something...

I just read that surgery for farsighted is around 2 to 3 thousand.

I thought blurred vision can be caused by malnutrition.

I should visit those free clinics as soon as possible for blood work if they do that. Thank you for the tip. I'm glad we got free clinics.

As for my hair falling out. That also can be caused by malnutrition. I'll search more on this. But if you guys know of anything that works, please let me know, smile.

My back hurting, I will try and see how to get muscle there. I do bend a lot and clean heavily sometimes. Or maybe I just need meat there for my bones.

Weight, well, I'll need to work on that later on. God-willing.

And I do have all kind of stress issues and maybe all mental problems but medicine causes more damages than all these emotional problems man was created with.

Well, I have a resolution to it but when government implements in you such emotions you really have no choice.

Archived