Group Therapy

acfan

I have signed up for a men's group therapy session and was wondering if anybody had any experience with group therapy. I am apprehensive about it because of fears of criticism which I was assured will not be allowed to happen. I am also doing individual therapy as well so, anybody have any thoughts.

I started group therapy in September and I had the same concerns as you. The reality of it is that these people are there for themselves and their own problems. They rarely have time to consider yours. Often a lot of these people are worse off than we are. We all signed a confidentiality form and we are not allowed to discuss anybody outside of the group at all anywhere . I found the first session rough but after that no it was a lot easier. I also found I got a lot of good ideas from the others. I also found support there. Really you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Do it!

I've been doing group therapy for about 6 months now. I've found it incredibly helpful.

If you want to get the best out of it, you really need to open up and be honest. Don't be too concerned about what other people in the group think. I've always found other group members very respectful about things such as privacy and respecting your openess. I've never seen one example of someone criticising another person.

It also gives you a bit of perspective. Most people with some kind of issues tend to be a bit self indulgent about it, thinking they have it worse than everyone else (myself included). It helps to listen to other people's problems and hear people who have it worse than you and those who have it better than you.

Do it!

I've been doing group therapy for about 6 months now. I've found it incredibly helpful.

If you want to get the best out of it, you really need to open up and be honest. Don't be too concerned about what other people in the group think. I've always found other group members very respectful about things such as privacy and respecting your openess. I've never seen one example of someone criticising another person.

It also gives you a bit of perspective. Most people with some kind of issues tend to be a bit self indulgent about it, thinking they have it worse than everyone else (myself included). It helps to listen to other people's problems and hear people who have it worse than you and those who have it better than you.

I agree I've never been criticized either. All the women in my group have been very respectful. And yes it is good to hear the troubles and the successes of other people as it gives you ideas and perspective. In this way we don't get lost in our own spiral and negative self talk,but we actually look outside ourselves and realize that there is help out there.

Archived