Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Aussie travelling to USA - <need help VISA requirements

Case_1983

Hi Guys,

I'm an Aussie living in Germany (I also hold a German passport) and I'll be travelling to the USA in September for 5 weeks. I'll be using my Australian Passport as it has a chip in it. It was issued 16 April 2008 and it is my understanding that I only need the ESTA approval and I'm good to go. I know Australia is part of the Visa waiver program so long as the traveller has the right passport it should be ok. My passport has the small golden logo in the middle of the page at the very bottom and my passport has 2 lines of writing and letters on the bottom of the passport with the picture page. I keep finding conflicting information. can someone help me? Perhaps you are also from a waiver program country and have recently travelled to the usa.

Thanks heaps in advance!!

I tried emailing the American Embassy in Australia, as Ill be using my Aussie Passport. If I dont get a response I will call but would rather not due to call costs. Otherwise I will call the embassy here but I assume they wont be able to advise me properly as I will be using my aussie passport.

Thanks for your responses Annie and Capricorn

Case_1983,

Here is what the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade say, which is also confirmed on the Australian US embassy's website ...

VWP and passport requirements

To enter the United States under the VWP, your passport must be:

machine-readable if issued prior to 26 October 2005;

machine-readable and have a digital photograph if issued on or after 26 October 2005; or

an e-Passport if issued on or after 26 October 2006.

Australian passports without two lines of 44 characters at the bottom of the photo and biodata page are not machine-readable. To confirm whether your passport is machine-readable or an e-Passport, please contact the Australian Passports Information Service on 13 12 32 (within Australia).

That small, gold logo on the bottom of the front of the passport is the logo of an ePassport and as you were issued a passport in 2008, your passport is most definitely an ePassport - therefore your passport IS eligible for the visa waiver.

Links: link removed

link removed

link removed

You might want to bookmark the Smarttraveler website for future use - it has the visa and entry requirements, for Australian travelers, for most countries.

Hope this helps.

Case_1983,

Here is what the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade say, which is also confirmed on the Australian US embassy's website ...

That small, gold logo on the bottom of the front of the passport is the logo of an ePassport and as you were issued a passport in 2008, your passport is most definitely an ePassport - therefore your passport IS eligible for the visa waiver.

Links: link removed

link removed

link removed

You might want to bookmark the Smarttraveler website for future use - it has the visa and entry requirements, for Australian travelers, for most countries.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jonty, that's a great help! I'll definitely check the website

• 2 months later...

Archived