Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Trying to go on rides alone at theme parks/water parks.

friendsoulmate

I often travel alone. There are no theme parks or water parks where I live, so when I visit a large city with warm weather, I like to go to water parks. The target market for these parks are families, but if I'm single and alone, I kinda don't feel welcome there. If I want to go on a theme park ride or water ride, and the ride operator finds out I'm alone, then he/she might tell me I need to be in a group, or else I would need to share a ride with strangers. Does sharing a ride with a stranger at a theme/water park make you feel creepy or uncomfortable? I feel I have a right to enjoy a theme/water park, even though I may have to share a ride with strangers.

Of course you have a right to enjoy a theme park alone. But yes, that means you may have to share with strangers. They probably won't find it nearly as odd as you're worried about, though. Remember, people think about themselves first and foremost--you won't be the center of their world.

You wont be told you need to be in a group to go on the ride, people on their own are allowed on. But i doubt you will be sat by yourself, they need to get through long queues so you will be sat next to a stranger. But that isnt a problem, they are probably the same as you, they are on their own and are just there to enjoy the ride. Dont need to strike up a conversation with them.

I don't think it's creepy, and I doubt the people seated next to you on the ride would, either. It happens. You will most likely be seated next to strangers because they don't want to run a ride with empty seats -- it holds up the line -- but if you're OK sitting next to strangers, it shouldn't be a problem.

Does sharing a ride with a stranger at a theme/water park make you feel creepy or uncomfortable? I feel I have a right to enjoy a theme/water park, even though I may have to share a ride with strangers.
It wouldn't make me feel creepy if the park people made me do it. I'd enjoy it because then I might get a conversation partner for a couple of minutes.

I used to work at Disneyworld, and being a single rider is the best! No lines! I met a lot of people who would go in single rider lines even when they were with a group so they'd have a much shorter wait. You'd be surprised how many people go to theme/water parks alone. A quick smile and a hi will break the ice if you're put with a group.

I remember one day after work I felt like going on a ride but all my friends were working, I told my friend I was worried about admitting I was alone when they ask how many in your party. He told me to hold my head high and say "I amthe party!"

It gets a laugh and can even start a convo with fellow riders

Archived