hey this is going to sound stupid, but i am wondering if it is possible to become addicted to nyquil. I started taking it a few months ago and now i am taking it several times every day and sometimes large doses of it. I used to just like the drowsiness it gave me but now if i don't take it i can't sleep and i feel nervous. I tend to use it to calm down, it really doesn't help me sleep anymore unless i take A LOT of it. I used to drink like constantly and i am worried about what this is doing to my liver. I have even had to skip classes (i am in college) because i am too drowsy to go and i fall asleep in class all the time. I tried to stop taking it but i feel like crap and i find by the afternoon i can't take it anymore and i have to take some to relax. Has anyone ever heard of some one becoming dependant physically and/or phsycologically to nyquil??

OH i forgot to add, when i take a lot of it i get bad chest pains, and i get chest pains also when i drink, excersise too much, smoke, and take stonger painkillers (percocet).

you don't read product labels... right?

If you read yoru Nyquil bottle, it'll tell you it's the single product underage people can get that contained massive amount of alchohol. In dorm we used to joke about how easily freshmen students can be drunk, as long as they're willing to endure the disgusting taste of Nyquil.

You can certainly become addicted to pain killers and sleeping medications, and as Nyquil contains both of those I would expect that it would be very possible to become addicted to that too. It certainly sounds like you have developed an addiction.

One thing for sure is that you can't go on as you are doing as it will only get worse. If I were you I would speak to a doctor, or alternatively if you don't want to do that you should try to slowly lower the amount you are taking over a couple of weeks until you stop taking it altogether. If you just try to stop straight away you will probably experience quite severe withdrawal symptoms which then just encourages you to take more.

It sounds like you are currently under stress or suffering from anxiety (possibly brought on by the Nyquil) and I understand that this can often cause chest pains. Again, I'd suggest you speak to a doctor about that though, just to be sure.

• 2 years later...