Living in a van

iwishiknew

Lately, I have been thinking that later on in my life I will be living in a van because I don't have job and I'm poor. Right now I'm living with my parents and they are in their late 70's and they won't live forever. When they do pass away I won't be able to live in my parents house because I can't afford paying the mortage, taxes, water bill, heating, gas bill etc etc. I don't have a job and I'm having a hard time finding work. It sucks being college educated and being unemployed and living a poor life. I plan on selling all my stuff so I can save and buy a conversion van in the future. Living in a van is a lot cheeper than living with a mortage payment and renting a apartment. I can buy a decent conversion van for about $2000. I do all my own car repairs and maintenace so that won't be an issue for me. I have watched some youtube videos of people living in a van and it does not look that bad at all.

That's awsome. I'll do it. I have been thinking about trading my car for a convertable van (pick a van that don't look creepy or drawn attention frm the public). As a main transportation or a mobile hotel room for traveling or a movable home as backup.

I too did some research and tips/stories on it before. You can get a gym membership and workout in the morning then shower at the sametime. Buy a decent size ice-chest or cooler for food storage. Some Walmarts allow you to park in their lot certain hours. I also notice that my local 24Hr gym had some RV parked infront at night.

Plus, you know how to repair-that is one good advantage.

Worry about starting family later, save $$$ in the bank. Once you ready to settle down-rent up a place or buy up a place. Tell me who doesn't want to rent or sell to a person that can afford.

Yep, like Jumper11 said, focus that energy on getting any job. You can still live in a van and have a job. Good luck!!!!

I am the brokest person on the planet.... but I plan on getting my own place in september.

If I budget really hard, I will be ok.

I am going to get a little studio apartment the size of my bedroom but it will be my own place.

about 500 a month with utilities.

there are other options. if you have to when the time comes move to an area where rent is cheap

I am lucky enough to be moving to a college town where rent is cheap.

I don't wanna struggle, but I may for awhile. I have to get my own place though. it is time for me to grow up I am going to be 28.

you can do it, you just gotta really focus. I know finding a job is hard, but there has to be ANYTHING out there.

I am working in a deli for god's sake. not glamorous. but I do it because I need money.

good luck, please reconsider what you can and can't do!

no offense...but you still wonder why you havent dated or kissed a woman ?

you need a full make over...mental one !!

your "poor mentality" will prove to be a huge disaster later on.

whatever situation you are in now, fight it and raise up!!

no offense...but you still wonder why you havent dated or kissed a woman ?

you need a full make over...mental one !!

your "poor mentality" will prove to be a huge disaster later on.

whatever situation you are in now, fight it and raise up!!

Habibi, you made a good point. I didn't check his previous post about 'dating'.

@ iwishiknew: You know how to fix car. Machanic made good money!!!! You can definitely work for someone then save up and buy a shop of yourself or work as a manager or customer consultant. Trust me, up sell that college degree. Since you are already handy in auto repair/maintenance, you can get it certified through community college/local auto tech school.

I knows of a mechanic working for other then buy an autoshop with loans. Now that machanic is doing pretty well.

Being a small business owner, you will not only paid off your mom's mortgage...you will send your parents on cruise every months.

Being a mechanic= more chances to meet girls.

Most ladies don't like dealing with auto repair related issue. They mostly rely on a good mechanic. Here is your chance to meet the ladies.

Yep, fight it and rise up!

Do some workout, build up those abs, shoulder, neck, arms, chests, and legs. It doesn't cost money or need to join gym. Do some Prisoner workout routine. Google it.

Your parents are still capable, so do what you can for now.

why not go outside the box and look at the jobs that are actually hiring and figure put what qualifications you need. I have seen job postings for health aids for care workers - not a nurse but someone to go check on someone and handle non medical needs such as making them a meal, driving them to the doctor's, etc, and they feel the person will relate more to another man. They required a background check - but not medical training as you were basically someone who went in between when the nurse and family were there for someone who couldn't be alone. You don't have to do it forever, or you can just be part time and do something else. You could even open up your own business as someone who runs errands for elderly and people who can't get out - I knew someone who did that, and one of the customers was a woman who was bedridden during pregnancy. They went grocery shopping, picked up the husband's dry cleaning, picked up their mail, etc.

Also, there is a shortage of people learning skilled trades if your degree is not working for you.

I urge you to not live in a van - not every place lets you park overnight, it is brutal in the winter and in 100 degree weather, and it depreciates.

Why is it all or nothing? You don't need a mortgage. You can have a roommate, get an efficiency apartment or rent a room for rent/in law apartment. Everyone starts somewhere.

Good for you for thinking of alternate living solutions.

When they do pass away I won't be able to live in my parents house because I can't afford paying the mortage, taxes, water bill, heating, gas bill etc etc.

You could also keep the house and rent it out to cover the mortgage, taxes, bills, etc. Or you could sell it if you inherit it, and buy a small duplex, and rent out half.

It's good to think of creative solutions to living, to be open to possibilities.

I'm an ASE certified master mechanic and I have the skills and knowledge to work on cars but I can't do it for a living becuase of my MHE. I was born with MHE, which sucks and I have worked before in a shop 9 hrs a day, 5 days a week and it really puts a lot of strain and stress on my joints. After working several years in the shop I was in a lot of pain on a daily basis and I had to quit. My doctor told doing mechanic work everyday is not good for my MHE condition. When I work on my car, I take my time and work at my own pace and take breaks so I won't get so sore. I would love to have my own my shop but the problem is $$$$$, which I do not have. I don't have any credit and no bank will give me a loan, I know because I tried before.

I don't see how being a mechanic equals more chances to meet girls. When I was a mechanic in the shop, I never talked to the customers. That is what the service advisor is for. When I did online dating before, on my profile, I did mentioned I work on cars and I'm able to fix anything on any car but that did not get me any responses, when I sent a message. My chances are very slim because of my MHE and height.

I do workout all the time and I do have abs. I'm in good shape, I spend majority of my time at the park running and rollerblading. I still can run a mile under 5 mins.

Good for you for thinking of alternate living solutions.

You could also keep the house and rent it out to cover the mortgage, taxes, bills, etc. Or you could sell it if you inherit it, and buy a small duplex, and rent out half.

It's good to think of creative solutions to living, to be open to possibilities.

That is true, but I don't know anyone that I could rent it out to. All my friends have their own place.

Archived