Has anyone said they wanted to be "just friends" then regretted it?

Fantanos

I won't go into details on my dating, just a quick overview below. But the question is has anyone here told someone after a few dates that you "just wanted to be friends" or ended dating someone then regretted it?

I am asking because- I took a girl out 5 times over a 3 week period, things were going really good and we both liked each other, the contacting amount was equal and we were both attracted to each other. She had everything I wanted in a girl and I was pretty excited about her and where it was going. Well like a fool I got too excited and after our 5th date (which went awesome) I started smothering her too much with text messages and as she started to get distant from me I tried harder... I basically quit following my own "rules" and ruined it. This was 2 months ago and looking back I was a complete fool, we were having a blast but at the end I made her feel like she was heading into a full blown relationship which ended it, had I continued to take it slow and play by the rules I think it would have worked well. Also I was just 3 months out of a 3.5 year relationship which concerned her some, I wasn't fully ready to date so when I saw I was really liking her I freaked because I knew I could get hurt and after just going through some tough times I freaked out. Anyways she said she just wanted to be friends and I basically said "No problem, friends are fine" and she said sounds good. That is where it ended.

I am smart enough to know not to ask her why or what happened or try to contact her again. Over the last two months she commented on one of my Facebook post and a month after that I commented on one of hers. Nothing about us, just stuff we shared in common. But she commented first.

So my reason for posting this is I can't get this girl out of my head, I mean I am not in love with her but I am mad I messed it up... she was an awesome girl and I just feel like it could be something good. I have tried dating a few other girls with no luck, and again I just can't get this girl off my mind. We had so much in common and it bugs me I messed it up. I know she really liked me, but I blew it. I don't have any plans on contacting her, I am not dumb... but I guess there is that little hope that maybe, just maybe she regrets telling me that. Wishful thinking I guess...

Anyways... just thinking out loud and seeing in anyone has experienced similar.

It's a fine line to walk here. You never know if you don't try.. So you have to weigh two things here. Which feeling is stronger inside you: never knowing vs. Being rejected. If you're more afraid of never knowing than her saying "no", then go right ahead. If you feel like being rejected is more detrimental than the questions, keep yourself at bay.

Only you can figure that one out!

ya, just move on. i feel like if the chemistry you felt was also felt by her, she would go back to you after the initial shock. maybe i'm weird, but i feel like after date 5, you're almost a couple anyway?? so why would it freak her out? i don't know anyone who dates for months... before being in a relationship.

Archived