Starting to panic... (going into last year of university)

Ahhh!!! I have one assesment period left before I move into my final year in september!! Panic mode!! I'm 21(+1), I love uni, and really really don't want it to be over. I've hated this year, but AHHHH soon I have to grow up, become a fully fledged adult, do adult things, get a proper job etc! I'm gonna do a masters, but I need to get a job and save up for that! and pay back some of my student debt if I earn enough, I hope I do, because I really really do not want to be living with debts and building onto them!

So, my question, who else hated leaving uni (I hated school and college so it's not entierly about education)... How did you cope with transitioning from being a student, to adult? EEK!

And those who remember me from when I was 16, thank you for all the help you've given me over the years

Butters

How are you all grown up?! OMG time flies I just finished classes (one exam to go and I’m officially done) and it’s kind of scary. I got really attached to my uni and the people in it, so I’ve been feeling a bit of anxiety. I think that will go away once I am gainfully employed. Like with any life transition (leaving high school, moving out of the parent’s house, etc...) it’s not always easy to jump into the next.

Not yet, I refuseee! my age is student haha.. yeah I'm not ready for adulthood in the slightest! its bad enough having to to pay bills with friends, let alone having to live by myself and go to work... xD... Oooh good luck in your exam, I have 5 (6 including my resit).. Yeah, I'm scared about moving from being a student, having a 'easy' week, 2 days of classes to working 5 days a week minimum... gonna be a huge transition as the most ive ever worked job wise is a few hours a week.. I couldn't wait to move out though.. Strange!

Omg, you have just spelled out EXACTLY how I feel at the moment too. I'm in exactly the same position as you are right now. I haven't had the 'typical' uni experience, I was a little disappointed with it, in the first year I was so lonely that i clung onto my boyfriend at home to get myself through which resulted in us splitting up because I became so needy and paranoid. But now i've really started to settle into the uni lifestyle and the freedom that comes with it, JUST AS I'M NEARLY FINISHING! And third year is pretty much a year of just studying and thinking about jobs etc, not having much fun.

The only piece of advice I can offer is to take everything as it comes, remember before you started uni? You were probably terrified of having to become an 'adult' then, by moving out, managing your own finances, doing your own cooking and cleaning etc. This is exactly the same but one step up. Just think of all the benefits too. You'll be earning real money, so you'll be able to afford to do many more things that you couldn't being a student.

I became an adult when I started paying my own bills at 18. So I guess, get a job? *shrug* I loved going to university, was great time, but that's just a part of life, now gotta face the other parts

I started paying my own bills when I moved out for uni at 20, but its not exactly the same, I moved out and into university, so it's not like I just moved out got a job and everything. I know its a part of life, its a huge step and scary, especially when you get older and more used to having somethings done for you! I want to know how other people transitioned, not be told its a part of life get over it

Omg, you have just spelled out EXACTLY how I feel at the moment too. I'm in exactly the same position as you are right now. I haven't had the 'typical' uni experience, I was a little disappointed with it, in the first year I was so lonely that i clung onto my boyfriend at home to get myself through which resulted in us splitting up because I became so needy and paranoid. But now i've really started to settle into the uni lifestyle and the freedom that comes with it, JUST AS I'M NEARLY FINISHING! And third year is pretty much a year of just studying and thinking about jobs etc, not having much fun.

The only piece of advice I can offer is to take everything as it comes, remember before you started uni? You were probably terrified of having to become an 'adult' then, by moving out, managing your own finances, doing your own cooking and cleaning etc. This is exactly the same but one step up. Just think of all the benefits too. You'll be earning real money, so you'll be able to afford to do many more things that you couldn't being a student.

Yeah, I was like that this year, although clinging to home! I don't get on with my housemates atm. Yeah I don't do much anyway, just study, cant afford to do anything as the only money I get is my student loan, so I save up and go to gigs and festivals lol.

Thank you for your post poison at least I'm not the only person feeling this, I have my final year to go yet, so I've another year of getting my head around it.. Heres hoping I get good enough marks to do a masters then I can delay adulthood a bit longer

It is kind of disconcerting. I remember. I think I just kind of muddled my way through and dropped into my pattern. Mind you I was working for a few years before I went to university so I was a little bit older than you average student. Mind you I had been paying my way since I was 18. Mind you I was comping at the bit to be an adult I hated being a kid.

It is kind of disconcerting. I remember. I think I just kind of muddled my way through and dropped into my pattern. Mind you I was working for a few years before I went to university so I was a little bit older than you average student. Mind you I had been paying my way since I was 18. Mind you I was comping at the bit to be an adult I hated being a kid.

It is disconcerting, I didn't miss home when I first moved to uni, I loved the freedome, being able to do my own thing, I only had two bills to pay (mobile and rent).. This years been harder, but that's mostly due to housemates.. Thank you for sharing your experience xx

I started paying my own bills when I moved out for uni at 20, but its not exactly the same, I moved out and into university, so it's not like I just moved out got a job and everything. I know its a part of life, its a huge step and scary, especially when you get older and more used to having somethings done for you! I want to know how other people transitioned, not be told its a part of life get over it

Oh, sorry. I didn't know you were just ranting. I didn't mean to tell you to get over it. My own transition was simple, cut the loose end and just leap. But I understand most people don't do things I do (which can be reckless sometimes), so it may sounded like I was telling you to get over it. I apologize.

Archived