Do you read into little things and what they do/don't mean too much?

jonnyquid

I have a tendency to do this and it seems to leave me worse off in te long run. Let me give you an example: Have been NC with an ex for around 7 weeks now. It ended abruptly and that's been it. Yesterday I sent a text to my whole phonebook saying 'Happy Easter' (as i usually do on Xmas, Easter etc...) and within 2 minutes I had a reply from her....it contained her pet-name for me a loads of kisses....so immediately I get all excited at this (!!) and it makes me feel good obviously. But now, a day on, i'm just sat here thinking 'why?' and am trying to figure out what it means.

Any advice on how to try to not do this?!

I think most of us tend to do that! I spent a good 20 minutes on Friday racking my brain wondering why my ex liked a Facebook status i posted about a news story that had personal meaning to us. But in the end I decided it is what it is. All it means is that he knows I'm still alive and that he knows how to press the like button haha and that if I try to read into it, it wll just make me feel worse and more confused.

Did you reply to her message or are you keeping NC?

A big massive YES. When we first broke up i would re-read texts and emails over and over again trying to work out exactly what was meant, looking for hidden meanings and clues. I drove myself crazy. My ex was too up and down emotionally so messages were the polar opposite day by day. Even now i don't know where i stand.

I would advice to not read into anything. Actions speak louder then words.

I sometimes think they don't put as much into what they write as we do reading it.

Well -- you sent a generic email out to your whole list --- so she responded.

It means nothing more than that --- and if you want to be honest, you could have deleted her from that list. I think you were hoping for a response.

This I've deleted my ex from my phone book, annoyingly her number is etched into my memory anyway, so it's not really helped. Means I have to think a bit more before sending anything. Haven't felt the urge to contact for a while now.

In answer to the original question, sometimes. Depends what kind of day I'm having. Some days I'm not bothered at all, other days I read into stuff I hear she's been up to far too much.

Well -- you sent a generic email out to your whole list --- so she responded.

It means nothing more than that --- and if you want to be honest, you could have deleted her from that list. I think you were hoping for a response.

It didn't cross my mind until i got the response. But yes, I should have deleted her number a long time ago. I have now done so. BUT, it does exemplify how just an innocent message back can lead to over-thinking sh1t! Especially in my case!

my ex did the same exact thing to me yesterday. sent me a text stating happy easter (petname), and once again on facebook directly on my wall, not even a week after i told her i want to stop seeing her and cut off the friendship as it was heading nowhere. im guessing she is trying to see my reaction whether or not i will crack and start up a conversation with her.i simply replied "thanks same to you". and today morning, she messaged me again asking about my easter weekend. she knows i have a tendency to break nc everytime i tell her its the last time, and i always end up going back to her. but this time, im sticking to my word and keeping my distance.

What did her text say ?

She used a pet name which was an extreme term of endearment and only used at our most intimate moments. Plus, a lot of kisses. To put it in perspective 3 weeks after the break-up we still spoke, but there was never more than 1 kiss on text or email and certainly no pet name's etc...but this all illustrates my first point of over-analyzing stuff!!

Everyday.

I go back and forth trying to understand what he meant. Some days I don't think about it, while others I rape my brain. I'm starting to get annoyed by it, because I just want to move on.

Then of course, there are times that I wonder why he hasn't called to see how I'm doing. It really really sucks.

I understand completely, my ex text me everyday. I often end text with night x she will just put night. The other day she put an x at the end and I got excited lol You are not alone in over analyzing everything. I am sure everyone who wants to be with someone does the same thing. Unfortunately we will never know what they are really thinking.

Archived