Need some advice on Jogging

Jake

Hey just had a question for those of you that are into jogging/running - what do you do about ankle pain/swelling? I usually do a full body work out 3 times a week (Mon, W and Fri) and my cardio is the stationary bike for 1 mile and the treadmill for 1 mile.

On the bike I'm perfectly fine but on the treadmill I'm having huge problems since that obviously puts more pressure on the feet/ankles. I would like to increase my distance on the treadmill but as soon as I get up to jogging speed my feet and especially my ankles just start killing me. Best way I can describe it as a blunt aching pain (and today I just noticed that my ankles swell up too).

I have good running shoes, I stretch and I stay hydrated - what gives?

The pain is basically preventing me from keeping my heart rate up and running for longer distances. This is extremely frustrating because I'm currently 6'1 and 175lbs and have lost 10 pounds since hitting the gym and changing my diet (been about a month for both). Overall, the issue is I've completely stalled in terms of losing fat around the abdomen and glutes which is where the last of it is holding on for dear life lol! I literally have like 10lbs of fat left and I can't get it off!

At your height and weight you're definitely not overweight so your ankles should be able to handle the strain.

If your ankles can't, I suggest changing the form in which you run in.

Yes, I recommend running like those weirdos we see in the spandex, lol.

Seek a trainer at the gym and he'll tell you which form is best for you.

I run a lot and when I get strained this is what I do.

I'll switch from running on my tip toes to heel-toe to almost stomping.

Also, at the end of each workout, the first thing you should do when you get home is lay with your feet up against a wall for 15 minutes to get the blood pooled in your feet back to your head,

At your height and weight you're definitely not overweight so your ankles should be able to handle the strain.

If your ankles can't, I suggest changing the form in which you run in.

Yes, I recommend running like those weirdos we see in the spandex, lol.

Seek a trainer at the gym and he'll tell you which form is best for you.

I run a lot and when I get strained this is what I do.

I'll switch from running on my tip toes to heel-toe to almost stomping.

Also, at the end of each workout, the first thing you should do when you get home is lay with your feet up against a wall for 15 minutes to get the blood pooled in your feet back to your head,

I think your on to something about form since I've always seemed to have this feet/ankle problem when jogging. I've also tried the stomping thing and it works but only for a little while because the pounding gets painful as well.

I thought I'd also mention that I jog at a 2% incline and my foot has a pretty good arch to it. My shoes have support for that but I'm starting to wonder if it's adequate enough and if that's the problem or at least a contributing factor?

Heck, maybe I'm just a big crybaby, I don't know lol!

Some advice from a person who actually written a book on the topic...

To burn fat you are going to want to keep your heart rate lower than what it would be at a jogging pace. When your heart rate exceeds a certain BPM (beats per minute) you are actually in a "zone" that makes it essentially impossible for your body to use fat for fuel. Yes, you do burn more calories overall (which many argue is more important) but, you are using fuel sources (such as muscle glycogen) instead of fat.

I am 39 and I have a 6 pack 12 months of the year. I do this by implementing a cardio strategy with a lower heart rate. I do a low pace cycle or walk for about 40 minutes per day ((first thing in the morning when I wake up). What does "slow" mean...well, if you don't have a heart monitor on the treadmill or stationary bike then think of it as a pace where you could carry on a conversation while having a light sweat. If you do have a heart monitor on the equipment then go online and find a "maximum heart rate" calculator. Then target a heart rate during exercise of about 65% of your max heart rate.

Also, you say you have lost 10 pounds in about a month. 10 pounds of what? Muscle? Fat?...Be careful what you perceive as "weight loss" because rapid weightloss is most definitely a combination of: water loss and muscle loss. Both will happen very fast and deceive you into thinking you are "losing fat". Losing muscle will reduce your metablosim (bad!) and cause weight spikes down the road.

I'd be interested to hear what you mean by "changing your diet". Please tell me more...

I know nothing of orthodox so I can't tell you what to do in the show department,

You'd know if you had bad feet or ankles or something and you don't so it's probably an issue of technique, shoes, or willpower.

Seriously, put your feet up.

Blood flow is super important.

Also, why not take care of your feet and get a reflexology treatment once a month or something?

This is the perfect time to use the fact that you're killing yourself at the gym to try this out,

Also, it's feels amazing and it's really good at releasing pressure points and what not.

Try running barefoot... It will quickly teach you to land on your forefoot instead of landing on your heel. (Otherwise the pain would stop you.)

After you learn to run like that, go back to quality jogging shoes.

Landing on the forefoot is the way our ancestors used to run, it is the running style we were designed for.

The heel strike damages ankles, heels and back.

Video that helped me:

I have good running shoes, I stretch and I stay hydrated - what gives?

Jake - I run a lot and just a few questions for you:

1. When you say you have good running shoes, were you actually fitted for them at a running store or by someone who knows a lot about running? You can have great quality running shoes, but if they are not the right shoes for YOUR feet, you are going to have problems. For example, I mildly overpronate so I have to have a stability shoe or it leads my ankles and knees to hurt.

2. Are you possibly tying your shoelaces too tight? Or is it possible your shoes are too tight...sometimes your feet expand when you exercise so your everyday size may not work (you may need to go up a size). I have tied my laces too tight/had a half size too small shoe and it made my feet hurt a lot.

Some advice from a person who actually written a book on the topic...

To burn fat you are going to want to keep your heart rate lower than what it would be at a jogging pace. When your heart rate exceeds a certain BPM (beats per minute) you are actually in a "zone" that makes it essentially impossible for your body to use fat for fuel. Yes, you do burn more calories overall (which many argue is more important) but, you are using fuel sources (such as muscle glycogen) instead of fat.

I'm aware of the importance of BPM and the actual zone of where the line is with regards to glycogen vs. fat being used I simply haven't gotten around to purchasing a heart monitor to really get serious about monitoring BPM because of the issue I'm having with jogging.

I am 39 and I have a 6 pack 12 months of the year. I do this by implementing a cardio strategy with a lower heart rate. I do a low pace cycle or walk for about 40 minutes per day ((first thing in the morning when I wake up). What does "slow" mean...well, if you don't have a heart monitor on the treadmill or stationary bike then think of it as a pace where you could carry on a conversation while having a light sweat. If you do have a heart monitor on the equipment then go online and find a "maximum heart rate" calculator. Then target a heart rate during exercise of about 65% of your max heart rate.

Yep, not going to lie, the whole purpose for me wanting to reduce fat % is because I'm going for the 6 pack. Props to you for taking your health so seriously!

Also, you say you have lost 10 pounds in about a month. 10 pounds of what? Muscle? Fat?...Be careful what you perceive as "weight loss" because rapid weightloss is most definitely a combination of: water loss and muscle loss. Both will happen very fast and deceive you into thinking you are "losing fat". Losing muscle will reduce your metablosim (bad!) and cause weight spikes down the road. I'd be interested to hear what you mean by "changing your diet". Please tell me more...

The story is a bit of a long one but I guess I should clarify.

I'm aware of what weight loss and what could have really been "lost." I honestly think it was a combination of fat, water weight and muscle weight just because of how much I changed my lifestyle.

The reason I say this because in early January I went to the doctor and explained that I had really bad fatigue and really foggy memory function (felt tired/groggy even after 10hrs of sleep) . I was worried that it might be the onset of low thyroid (it's really predominant in my family history, mom, sister, uncles, aunts, ect.)

The doctor ordered a blood work and my thyroid came back basically - perfect. However, my HDL cholesterol (good kind of cholesterol) was in the tank at 49mg/dL. My doctor told me I could get away with my eating habits at my age but he also said that based on my symptoms I should seriously think about altering my diet because he believed I had food allergies, specifically, wheat and diary.

So I went on a no wheat/gluten/diary free lifestyle and my energy quickly hit a point where I not only felt better but I also started feeling good enough to where I wanted to start working out at the gym. I was amazed at my energy level (from tortoise to hare so to speak in 3 weeks). Overall my diet is now:

2 Eggs every morning with tomatoes (will switch off with oatmeal and jam)

Then through out the day I eat:

Fish

Chicken

Beans

I snack on dried fruit trail mix (has peanuts, almonds, walnuts, cranberries, raisins...ya get the picture).

Corn chips with salsa

Bananas (I crave these bad for some reason...)

Other fruits and vegetables.

No candy, soda or fast food.

Ginna

Okay that video pretty much explains my problem! My shoes have a bit of heel to them and I did not realize I'm heel striking or at the very best coming down straight with my foot/shoe - yikes!

Thank you!

amandamarie

1.) No I was not fitted (I didn't even know you could have someone do that?). I basically bought standard running shoe and I think that's where my mistake lies (plus my running style is crap). I think I need flatter shoes (i.e little to no heel). I think I run best with no shoes on and my running shoes are making me run bad (like in the video Ginna provided).

2.) Nope, I made sure I didn't make the same mistake as I did last summer (my last running shoes were too small and I tied them tight.....).

The last 4 items on your list are loaded with sugars and calories. I can see some connection between your inability to cut down to the sub 10% body fat level required to get your abs to show.

You sound like you've done your research but your sugar consumption is way too high. Bananas, raisins,...bad idea. Lots of fruits, bad idea. Walnuts and penuts are calorie loaded as well. A handful of raisins has about 29g of sugar!

Your sugar consumption is causing your omentum to take over. It'll cause your insulin levels to spike and cause a list of other bad things to happen, all which will fight against fat-cutting.

I'd reduce your snacking...replace with carb-free protein shakes. Switch to blueberries (if available), cherry tomatoes, or the like. Snacking ends after lunch. Maybe almonds (like a few) mid-afternoon.

I do this for a living....so it's something I'm fairly used to.

Switching to a forefoot striker isn't easy. It takes a lot of time and discipline. You have to work on form a lot. You will also start working your muscles differently so new aches and pains! lol I switched years ago. It took me maybe 6 months to transition so it was natural to me. It did make a big difference in my running. I became much more efficient.

Wanted to add, no matter how you run - shoes make a big difference. If you heel strike, mid-foot strike, forefoot strike, pronate, supinate, etc., makes a different in which shoe to get. So getting a good fitting is important. Runnersworld has good resources on their website.

The last 4 items on your list are loaded with sugars and calories. I can see some connection between your inability to cut down to the sub 10% body fat level required to get your abs to show.

I completely agree with you on the sugar but I'm actually kind of worried about my calorie intake (I don't keep strict track of it and I'm kind of feeling that I don't have enough and I'm substituting with sugar...).

You sound like you've done your research but your sugar consumption is way too high. Bananas, raisins,...bad idea. Lots of fruits, bad idea. Walnuts and penuts are calorie loaded as well. A handful of raisins has about 29g of sugar!

Hahaha it's funny you point this all out because it was bugging me that so much of what I ate had sugar in it! Your post only confirms my worries.... and my sweet tooth lol!:shame:

Your sugar consumption is causing your omentum to take over. It'll cause your insulin levels to spike and cause a list of other bad things to happen, all which will fight against fat-cutting.

I'll have to make a mental note and research on omentum (first I've heard that word before) and I do agree with your logic.

I'd reduce your snacking...replace with carb-free protein shakes. Switch to blueberries (if available), cherry tomatoes, or the like. Snacking ends after lunch. Maybe almonds (like a few) mid-afternoon.

I do this for a living....so it's something I'm fairly used to.

I forgot to mention that I do have a protein shake (with creatine) in the morning in almond milk but I recently found out that it has 15 grams of sugar per 8oz. I'm finishing the last of the almond milk and then I'm going back to the unsweetened almond milk....

I think you've overall found my problem with regards to weight loss (sugar intake). Now, it comes down to learning how to substitute all that.

If you are not keeping track of your calorie intake (specifically the breakdown between carbs, protein, and fats) then you HAVE found your problem in burning that last few % pts of fat. Going after a six-pack is daunting. I am able to maintain it because I'm used to this lifestyle. It's my job to have a six pack.

Substituting is for sugar is going to be tough. But there are plenty of options out there. What I would recommend is training your taste buds to not desire so much sugar - but that takes time.

Got to remember though that one snickers bar is pretty much 40 minutes to an hour of cardio. So you can see that your cardio work goes down the tubes with just a snack or two. I see this all the time - people in the gym for an hour and then take 3 steps back with their diet.

I eat 7 times per day and sit at about 2300 calories per day. I'm constantly full, however. I workout everyday and do 40 mins on the bike first thing in the morning. I do cardio in the morning because my body has consumed glycogen all night and it has very few options to fuel itself during cardio, so it will rely on fat (if I keep my heart rate lower).

Immediately after the bike I go protein shake and black coffee and an hour later I hit breakfast (6 eggs (2 ylks in there) and oatmeal, grapefruit). I don't see fruit for the rest of the day. My meals come about 2 hours apart - and are either shakes (water or no fat milk as the mix in the shake).

Definitely read-up on the omentum....it's the organ in your body that works against everything you try to get thin!

Archived