Complete and total lack of motivation?

MattW

I don't see anything that's too unrealistic. You are relatively young and have years to progress with it. Are you having guitar lessons or trying to teach yourself? What about advertising for other musicians to jam with to pick up tips/gain experience. You don't need to be brilliant, you're not looking to play publicly yet, just have fun doing what you love to do.

There must be a million and one ways you could volunteer within the music world; a shop, a bar that hosts gigs.. What type of music is it that you wish to play?

Start small but keep pushing forward.

If you like music, start writing some. Start hanging out where other musicians are. DO something.

If you want to stop being negative, stop wasting your time sitting around watching tv or reading computers and spend that time EDUCATING yourself about HOW to stop being negative. I have no patience for people who whine "I can't" when they aren't even trying. There are about 10,000 books on how to have a positive outlook. Have you read even one? Then don't complain.

Volunteering...you're young and inexperienced. You don't understand the psychology of what volunteering does for you, because you've never done anything but please yourself. Well, guess what? There are millions of people out there in worse shape than you. Who would give anything to just have the chance to make a better life for themselves but don't have the means. You're someone who has the means but couldn't be bothered to make a better life for himself. If you're not going to do something for yourself, at least help someone else out in the meantime. HELP SOMEONE. And along the way, you may surprise yourself and learn that it actually FEELS GOOD to help someone in worse shape than you. Thus...not being so negative about life.

Dude, " customers are idiots and management is not concerned"? I have been fooling myself blaming people and situations... Then one day I took responsibility of my problems.. This my dear is the first step to self improvement..

I'm not really blaming anyone, though, I'm just frustrated with working in retail in general. I, of course, wasn't trying to imply that ALL customers are bad, it just seems like a lot of customers regard store associates as lowly little servants. Every now and then, there are nicer customers that aren't rude, demanding, or unappreciative, but it seems like they're few and far between.

As far as management goes, I just really feel like they don't care much about me, and that annoys me, because I do a lot for the store. When they ask me to work extra shifts, I do it. When they ask me to stay longer, I do it. I try my hardest not to "rock the boat". I never call off, I'm almost never late, I rarely request more than a day or two off. Yet, when I do make a mistake or slip up, I get grief. Everybody else seems to get more leeway than I do. They can call off a handful of times a month, and it's okay; I call off once, and if I can't provide a doctor's note, I get written up. They come in, like, 10-15 minutes late every day, and management doesn't say a word; I do it, and hear about it shortly after. They be lazy and cut corners, and management shrugs it off; I do it, and get grief.

I've been trying to nudge them into letting me get off the register and onto the floor more often (though I've been trying not to nag or make a big fuss about it, as I understand they're limited by their allotted payroll). I've proven that I can be good on the sales floor, I know the department, I know where stuff goes. And yet, management seemingly lets everyone onto the floor but me. They're even seriously considering letting the other cashier (a girl about my age) transition to the sales floor, despite the fact that she knows nothing about working the floor (not to knock her at all, of course, it just doesn't make sense, considering I already know so much about working the floor).

It's just frustrating. I'm not saying I'm the perfect employee, I'm not saying I don't deserve any blame, or whatever, I just feel like I try to be the best worker I can for the job, and it's like it doesn't matter, no one cares. Not customers, not management, no one.

I don't see anything that's too unrealistic. You are relatively young and have years to progress with it. Are you having guitar lessons or trying to teach yourself? What about advertising for other musicians to jam with to pick up tips/gain experience. You don't need to be brilliant, you're not looking to play publicly yet, just have fun doing what you love to do.

There must be a million and one ways you could volunteer within the music world; a shop, a bar that hosts gigs.. What type of music is it that you wish to play?

With the guitar, I tried to teach myself. I couldn't afford to get lessons, and I couldn't get myself to keep at it. Nowadays, like I said, I'm less into guitar, and more into the idea of being the front man. To me, that idea is both exciting and frightening, because on one hand, I think it'd be a lot of fun, but on the other hand, I've always been such a shy, self-conscious person, that I don't know that I could bring myself to get up in front of a large crowd of people and sing.

My genre of preference is hard rock. I'm into classic bands (like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, etc.), as well as modern stuff (like Foo Fighters, Breaking Benjamin, Seether, etc.). If I could, I'd like to do something like that.

I've never really thought about ways I could volunteer or try to get my foot in the door with the world of music, because I've always felt like it's too silly and way unrealistic.

If you like music, start writing some. Start hanging out where other musicians are. DO something.

Hah, believe it or not, I have been writing music for years now (or attempting to). Problem is, I hate it all. When I'd write it, I'd think it sounds cool, but when I'd read it back later, it sounded absolutely stupid. I used to have notebooks full of written stuff, but I threw all of them away, because I didn't feel I ever wrote anything of any value. Even now, when I occasionally scribble down thoughts for lyrics, I'll re-read them and then tear them up and throw them in the garbage.

Volunteering...you're young and inexperienced. You don't understand the psychology of what volunteering does for you, because you've never done anything but please yourself. Well, guess what? There are millions of people out there in worse shape than you. Who would give anything to just have the chance to make a better life for themselves but don't have the means. You're someone who has the means but couldn't be bothered to make a better life for himself. If you're not going to do something for yourself, at least help someone else out in the meantime. HELP SOMEONE. And along the way, you may surprise yourself and learn that it actually FEELS GOOD to help someone in worse shape than you. Thus...not being so negative about life.

I'm not saying I don't care about helping anyone, period, I just... I really think that my heart wouldn't be in it, and I don't want to be "helping people" for the wrong reasons. Yanno?

I do understand. But you're only 22. Your brain is still developing, you're not done growing up yet. I know, I know, it doesn't feel like it, you FEEL grown up. BTDT. Just trust me when I say you truly haven't experienced enough life yet to be able to say anything for sure. So take some chances, try something new. That's how you learn and grow.

I do get it about retail. It is an unforgiving profession and, for most people, just a transient job until you do what you really want. And trust me, the bosses know that. So, try to follow some of the advice I gave. Try new things on. Shadow some people to see what they do for a living. Read some books. Watch some documentaries. Volunteer. You're in college, right? College students have to do internships; go to your department that handles that, and ask them to help you try some things on. When I was your age, I had NO CLUE what I wanted to do with my life. None! The only reason I started working toward an engineering degree (at night, working full time during the day - took me 15 years to get my BA) was that I wanted to work at NASA like my dad - and when I called them and asked what kind of degrees they hired, they said engineers or math majors. So I picked engineering. Luckily, when I was about 27, my college opened up a new degree plan for something I loved to do - write and edit. And, as luck would have it, when I finally was closed to graduating and had to do an internship, NASA needed a writer! Who knew?

That's the thing, Matt. If you don't try on new things, you'll never know. Open your mind and heart, and you'll run into something you love.

Archived