i don't understand the legal age to have sex

okay i always thought that in the united states you have to be 18 or older to have sex with someone over 21. i always figured this, because even in hollywood everyone makes such a big deal when hot people turn 18 cuz they say that's when they are finally legal. but recently one of my friends said that all of the states have different ages for legality. like our's (nebraska's) legal age is 17, and a lot of states legal age is even 16. i guess i'm confused. i always thought that 18 was the legal age. can someone explain this to me please.

Every state varies.

For instance, in Texas, the age of consent is 17 years old.

Sex with anyone under that age would be the commission of statutory rape.

However, if the participants are between the ages of 14 and 16, and within 2 years of each other, then that would be an affirmative defense to statutory rape.

They just changed the law in Oregon. Now the legal age of consent is 14. BUT if there is more then a three year age gap between the people involved- to the day- then it is considered Statutory Rape. Also, a minor can not legally have a sexual relationship with an adult. So a 17 year old can not have sex with an 18 year old. In Oregon we have Mandatory Sentencing, and Statutory Rape falls into that category. If you get convicted, you spend a MANDATORY 11 years in prison- no exceptions.