Want to start over

My coworker is pregnant and this about the same time that I have decided I need to leave my job and hope to start new. It seems crazy to leave without something lined up but after 4 years i sort of feel like now is the time to take that risk since I don't have kids or a mortgage etc.

I am not happy and want something more career focused. I am basically doing very tedious admin work and more things are going to be dumped on me when she is on leave and it honestly doesn't seem worth it to me anymore. I would rather focus my time and enery starting new, organizing my life, and applying for new roles.

I plan to leave in the fall once i get a few things settled. I am worried my coworker will wind up getting sick or on bedrest before then. Is that likely at about 7 months? She is about 4 months now. I want to leave before things get worse with her etc. Please help.

well i feel like its wrong to leave when the person is on leave b/c that sort of leaves them without anyone training them on what to do. So i was thinking of leaving ahead of time and be thoughftful..around september..2nd week maybe and give my notice a month before so atleast there is warning.

I guess if something happened around then like she needs bedrest--i can't really help that right? I gave my notice...

I just feel anxious about all this

• 2 weeks later...

one problem of mine is what to tell them..people get curious and will ask what are my plans. I really won't feel comfortable saying it's private. I was thinking of telling my boss that my old employer has a position opened to give me experience with so and so area.

And after i leave and I am looking for a job..i will probably need to ask her for a reference..i could tell her there was a change in plans and i decided to visit family for a bit after a family occurrence etc. Now i am looking for a job.

Is this ok? I really dont' want to say I am quitting just to quit..

I would spin it to your boss like you have really enjoyed working here and you've learned so much, but after some deep reflection, you've decided to completely switch careers and are planning to look for jobs in X. I would ask if she would have your support for a letter. Say that this isn't about not liking the company or the people, just that you need a change.

i would say that definitely under normal circumstances..but i think the fact my coworker is pregnant changes things..if i just leave to leave--basically everyone will just think i didn't wanna stick around to do the extra work..Which in reality is true--i do not want to be stuck there another year doing tedious, labor intensive work and by myself for a few months. Maybe i can say i was offered something else but later when i am applying to jobs i can e-mail her saying due to a family occurrence I decided to take some time off to be with my family and I am now persuring jobs, can I place you down as a reference?

I feel uncomfortable and anxious there even though the hours are good and it isn't even busy all the time. I just dont feel like I belong there anymore. I feel relief when 5:00 comes.

I would really tell the truth and not make up some lies about getting offered something, but then that falls through, then you have a family emergency,etc... it just is too complicated and sounds like a bad lie (which it is). I really think that the truth is the best thing to say.

"but i think the fact my coworker is pregnant changes things..if i just leave to leave--basically everyone will just think i didn't wanna stick around to do the extra work..Which in reality is true--i do not want to be stuck there another year doing tedious, labor intensive work and by myself for a few months."

you shouldn't make decisions based on what your coworkers might think either. Really - it's all about you and saying something polite to your boss. Don't make up lies.

Archived