My weight issue and my skinny sister

This year I have just been gaining weight, i used to be 48kgs and now im 55kgs. Most of my jeans do not fit me and my tops fit me tighter. It really depresses me out, i got sick recently and the weight just doesnt seem to come off easy. I tried a soup diet for a week and it only made me more hungry.

I go to gym but soon as i eat something i bloat..like a sandwich or even a salad.I just get so hungry all the time and my mum always wants to know what im eating. She even likes the way i look now, personally i think she wants me to get fat since shes also struggling with weight issues. Everytime i go to eat something in the kitchen my mum wants to know what im eating or she comes by to the kitchen to see what im eating. Its really annoying. I even told her that why do u want to see everything i eat?

My sister has lost alot of weight and now shes 47kgs, she gyms more often than me since i work 8 to 4 job while she goes to university. She eats less and always skips lunch. I dont think i can skip lunch since i get way too hungry. I have to admit im a bit jealous that shes skinny and her clothes look good on her while I have to cover up my behind and my arms. I know its not good to compare but i cant help it. Yesterday she had this smirk on her face when she looked at me as if to say she was thinking " yay youre fat and im skinny". Trust me i know that look coz she smiled to herself and that made me angry.

I dont know what else to do when my mum wants me to get fat and i have a skinny sister. I notice everytime i train hard at the gym and see an inch of a result i get sick and dont go to gym for a week or two till im better. I wish there was some diet where i can go back to 48kgs...i looked my best when i was at that weight...any advice or meal plans would help?

Well, everyone loses weight differently, and some go unhealthy routes to achieve desired look. You may think to yourself you wish you had the ability to skip lunches like your sister does, but in reality, that's a BAD way to lose weight. Skipping meals can really slow down your metabolism and of course make you hungrier, so when you eat dinner you're more likely to gorge. Eating less is not always the best way to lose weight.. I think it's Jillian michael's who has a book out called "mastering your metabolism", where she notes how important it is to eat throughout the day, small to moderate portions. It sounds like you have a lot of competitive rivalry between the females in your family, and that sucks, but try not to let it get to you. Being skinny is not a very good measure of someone's worth, so your sis giving you a smirk smile is really awful and deluded, but try to recognize that and be better than that. If you must feed into the competitiveness, I recommend you learn how to lose weight HEALTHILY. That way you can be proud of yourself for being healthy and skinny, and that is something to be proud of as opposed to starvation/skinny/unhealthy skinny, which your sister sounds more like. It may be hard for you to get out to the gym, but find an active activity or exercise you can do a few times a week that you really enjoy. I recommend a workout DVD called "The biggest loser weight loss yoga", it's my favorite video, and I do it all the time and actually enjoy it. Now that it's summer you might be able to find ways to stay active that aren't as boring as the gym, try bike riding on the weekend, or going for a walk/jog somewhere pretty and scenic after work.

Take a look at your diet, its not just about how much you eat its about what you eat. If you are hitting the gym try "cutting" a little.

What I mean is eat good whole foods, with high protein levels. Whole (natural) foods are harder for your body to break down so they actual sustain your hunger for longer. Things to eat that are good are Chicken breast, Prawns/ shrimp, Tuna (only1-2 times a week), lean beef, lean pork and turkey breast. Obviously there are a lot more. Use these for your main meal components 3oz of these should give you 25g protein +.

Try and steer clear of bread when, just my opinion. So the GDA calories for women are 2000-2300 depending on how much exercise you do (I believe these are right). So to loose weight you need to burn off more calories then you eat, so try "cutting" it to about 1800 calories, then try and do a full body workout routine 3 days a week. This will help prevent muscle loss but promote fat loss.

But remember you can healthily only loose a maximum of 2lb fat a week. So don't aim to loose more than that, because if you do you may way be loosing muscle instead. And as we all know muscle weighs more than fat, so if you loose muscle you might loose weight, but still retain fat. Which means you wont weigh as much, but could still look a little chubby.

Just google "cutting" diets for recipe ideas and the details. But coupling a cutting diet with exercise and a full body work out 3 days a week will get you shifting the pounds I lost 25lb in a little over 3 months. I had to be strict but it was worth it.

Also split your daily meals up into 5 smaller meals, keeps your internal engine (metabolism) ticking over nicely all day..working hard to burn calories . I wouldn't advise skipping meals. This can trigger your body to go into starvation mode, which means when you do eat normally again a lot of it will be stored as fat straight away... (not what you want! lol)

All the best

Thank you for your advice, i really appreciate it Yeah the females in my family are all competitive even my cousins are with this weight issue. I just feel like im lacking,im trying to keep up but end up giving up. I dont want it to be a race, I have recently started taking walks on the beach,it soothes me..just wish i could control my eating..

My sister is going the unhealthy route of eating but shes losing weight and everybody noticed that. I wish it could be that easy for me.

Also, you say you get hungry often.. the best type of food to fend off hunger for a long time is protein, so if you could start your day off with something rich in protein & low in fat that would be wonderful, say a boiled egg, beans, or a lean piece of baked chicken. Of course things high in protein might have a bloating effect, your bloating could be a health issue, but definitely try a probiotic pill for that, it just might be your cure.

Also, 55kg is a nice weight for women especially if you are in between 5'5" and 5'9" puts curves in all the right places . I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you, your certainly aren't fat!

Lol my mum says that too sometimes but i really want to be 48kgs again,my self confidence is zero and finding clothes that fit me is a disaster...also i dont want to buy clothes that are a size bigger lol.

Also, you say you get hungry often.. the best type of food to fend off hunger for a long time is protein, so if you could start your day off with something rich in protein & low in fat that would be wonderful, say a boiled egg, beans, or a lean piece of baked chicken. Of course things high in protein might have a bloating effect, your bloating could be a health issue, but definitely try a probiotic pill for that, it just might be your cure.

Thanks,my sister uses probiotics. I can tell u what she eats for a day...rice cakes, granola bars and almonds. Lol

Almonds are good! but the rest....might as well be sipping cuppa soups all day (DONT TRY IT LOL). Seriously though, try a cutting diet coupled with excercise and a full body work out 3 times a week. There are some good ones out there.

But doing this method lets you loose up to 2lb a week, but it keeps your muscles fit and toned, so that when the fat does go you already have that gym type body. Also Activia pro-biotic yoghurt really do work for bloating, and they are low in fat and high in protien. These can be great

Eat a lottt of high fiber foods. Drink a lot of water. By high fiber foods I mostly mean fruits and vegtables so you're getting most of your vitamins. If you are going to be lifting weights or something to get a little protein in (fish or eggs are probably best).

Oh but reading the other posts it might sound like you don't really need to lose weight but being healthier is always good. (I wouldn't do diets where you're only eating a single food, you may lose weight but you'll also lose beneficial vitamins that make you look good).

Did your eating habits change at all before you started to gain weight? It's possible something could be medically wrong with you (hypothyroidism, for instance) which is causing you to put on weight.

Otherwise, keep exercising. I know it's tough to get around to, but just make it part of your daily routine. If you get done with work at 4, you can probably make it to the gym, work out, and get home by 5:30... that doesn't sound too bad! When it comes to diet, watch portion sizes and make healthy substitutes. When you have a bowl of cereal, stop short of your usual amount. When you go to make a sandwich, make an open-faced (one piece of bread) sandwich instead. If you are craving ice cream, make yourself a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit, milk, and yogurt instead. If you are craving sweet carbs (cake or something) have some whole wheat bread with peanut butter and honey.

And don't weigh yourself every day! Once a week at most... your weight can fluctuate a lot from one day to the next, even if you weigh at the same time, and that's frustration that you don't need. Sticking to once a week will cut out a lot of that up and down.

EDIT: How tall are you? I just paid attention to your current weight, and it's not heavy at all. It's possible you were too skinny before and are now at a healthier weight.

Hey,thanks for the advice, i am 1.59mt tall. I used to be skinny but now i just get hungry more and eat more than before,its funny back then i hardly used to feel hungry but now my tummy growls all the time. I wish i could fit into my jeans again,its really getting me down and i want to look good for my 25th birthday in August. Hopefully i can get back to 48kgs..

It's definitely a good goal to get in shape, but you are still quite thin, even at your high weight. Don't let your sister's unhealthy weight loss spur you on towards unrealistic goals! Your happiness and health are the most important things!

I've heard good things from friends I know who've struggled to lose weight about this program - Dukan Diet - if you click on these links, you can fill out a questionaire that will help you figure out what your healthy target weight should be - here is the link removed (which uses metric measurements) and here is the link removed (using pounds and inches for measurements)

This diet plan is based on eating high protein to aid in weight loss- you can read more about it on the site. It seems to be based on some solid ideas.

It's definitely a good goal to get in shape, but you are still quite thin, even at your high weight. Don't let your sister's unhealthy weight loss spur you on towards unrealistic goals! Your happiness and health are the most important things!

Thanks for the advice, but i still want to reach my goal of 48kgs,i will have to try my best!

Archived