Exchanging possessions during breakup, when and how given NC/LC???

We officially broke up on Tuesday night. She has a few of my things, and I have a few of hers. We work together, and in a pre-breakup conversation a few weeks back I mentioned I would need my spare apartment keys back. I really don't care about the other items, she can keep them. And what I have of hers she's never mentioned.

We work together and for the past few days I've been maintaining NC/LC (at work). She IM'd me at work on Thursday for a quick "hey, how are you". I replied just to say good and left it at that. Nothing else from her since, and I am in no way breaking NC/LC outside of work/business. I'm not her friend; she lost that privilege as far as I'm concerned. I'll be cordial at work but nothing more. During the official breakup I mentioned my spare keys again. Normally I wouldn't care too much, but you know, my lease requires that I pay $50 - $60 to replace them if they are not returned when I leave. I'm not paying that; I want my keys back.

She has yet to return them and she hasn't mentioned them once (she could easily leave them on my desk; our cubes are next to one another!). I'm adamant about NC outside of work, and LC for work related stuff only. Still I feel the need to break NC/LC to ask that she return my keys ASAP. I don't necessarily need to see her as she can just leave them on my desk Monday morning.

Do you think a quick text message would suffice just to ask for them? And that she just leave them on my desk?

I feel silly asking, but I guess if you think there would be a better approach please let me know. I want to come out of this healed and with my head held high. Also I have a couple of her things, but she's not said anything about them. Should I mention returning those items? Or just leave it up to her to ask? They are her things after all and I don't really give a damn about them (we're talking about a bar stool and some old, spare golf clubs), but I would think that she would know to ask. She is after all an adult and I owe her absolutely nothing, so perhaps I shouldn't say anything unless she asks.

Thanks for your replies!

I might fire her an email at work on Monday morning. I'd ask her face to face, but our relationship wasn't widely known at work so that might be a little inappropriate in this case. I don't need to be initiating contact with her outside of work hours, and work IM would only open the door for a possible 'live' conversation, so I think I'll email.

I think I'm becoming lonely, and so relationship dilemmas (small or large) at times have caused me to post here on ENA before giving them enough thought myself. Perhaps I am just reaching out for reaching out's sake.

Archived