Women---Do you find this attractive?

splash

Four of us English teachers here in Germany used to meet up regularly for a late breakfast on Tuesday mornings after our first classes.

My friend Alison always went on and on about how sexy her boyfriend Martin was. How attractive. How gorgeous. How good-looking.

One day she showed us a photo of him next to an article he had written for a journal.

We all looked at the photo in stunned silence.

He was in his late 30s, balding slightly, dark hair, beard, glasses and smiling. I think we were all thinking...'HUH??? This is HIM??? This is the good-looking guy she's been on about for MONTHS??? The guy she wants to marry???'

And then we looked at his eyes. They were full of fun. And the smile was really attractive. And then we understood.

I think he was fitter than you but this little anecdote should tell you a little about women. A man can be utterly physically repulsive ... but his personality can be utterly attractive. Look at Picasso for heaven's sake. I mean.. Richard Gere or Johnny Depp he was not. But women fell at his feet.

If I were you.... it seems you find being overweight a negative point. Well, there is something you can do about that. I got up to 73 kilos this time last year and decided that enough was enough. I know weigh 66 kilos (thats 15.4 pounds lighter). I FEEL better and more energetic not having to drag extra weight around with me.

How did I do it? I walked about 8 hours a week to and from work - getting up an hour earlier to do so. Went to the gym two or three times a week to work out on the machines for about an hour, and swum once or twice a week for 35-40 minutes. I also ate tons of fruit (I could eat the entire strawberry production of Spain) and salad - stuffed myself with fresh food - but no sauces. I never went hungry. I lost about a pound a week after the initial four weeks in which nothing seemed to happen.

Now I feel lighter and more flexible and more energetic. I don't do so much as I used to but I still try and fit the gym in 4 times a week even if I don't feel like it. And on the days I don't go there I do Pilates exercises. very easy stretching exercises which are great for improving posture.

You have it in yourself to do something.

My boyfriend does not realise how sexy and attractive he is. I bought him a shirt just before Christmas and we went out with him wearing it and my friends thought he looked scrummy. Maybe.... you should ask a female colleague or friend or family member that you trust and feel comfortable with to go shopping with you. No need to buy anything.. but just ask them to pick clothes that suit you so that you can try them on and see what you look like.

I know someone else who is also over 30 and balding. he's nice but no-one is attracted to him and I think it's because of the way he dresses. he dresses like a gardener - even though he is a freelance translator like me. His dress sense is awful (PURPLE SHIRTS?????!!!!). Think about what I said.. go shopping with a woman. Dress so it brings out the best in you.

I thank you all for the comments.

I wanted to clarify one thing in my original post. I was asking the question to see the responses and a few of them, have said that I have to work on my self-image.

I never stated one way or the other whether I did or did not like myself. Well the answer is I do like myself. I am an overwieght bald man. Plain and simple. Would I love to love, sure. Does the fact that I am overweight prevent me from doing what I want or make me loathe myself, NO.

I simply wanted to find the women out there that are not ruled by looks alone, but as of you put it, attracted to the inside person, not just the looks.

Once again, I thank you all for the posts, keep 'em coming.

thinking about this question yesterday I thought of some famous actors who... although not attractive in the usual way ... I would LOVE to go out and have lunch with.... They are: Danny De Vito (short, round and balding), John Goodman (BIG guy) and Stanley Tucci (extremely balding).

But what do these guys have in common? A sense of humour (for British women this is the most important thing in a guy - not money, or looks but a GSOH (good sense of humour)), and a smile which goes into the very depths of their wonderful eyes. They look fun and didn't Cindi Lauper once sing: 'And girls.. just wanna have fun?'

BTW.. I never thought you 'loathed' yourself. I just thought you might have lacked self-confidence. Sorry if you felt offended by that. All the Best!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

As far as first impressions go, personally I think its all in the eyes, smile, body language, and sense of humour. If someone's eyes sparkle, with those laughter lines, it makes me think they'd be fun. If a guy is always smiling, I end up having a good laugh too. Good body language, like not folding arms, making good eye contact etc is really important. And someone who makes me laugh is a sure winner. After all, we all want to be happy! Also, a guy who pays a girl a lot of attention and makes her feel special is always attractive.

If someone's just looking for looks only, then they're probably very shallow. They may also move onto a better-looking man as soon as one comes along, which would suck. Whereas is someone wants you for YOU inside, they are likely to have a lot more integrity. There has to be a spark obviously, but girls soon realise just cos someone's asthetically gorgeous, doesn't necessarily mean they're kind, funny, sexy etc, at all. They may be, but it doesn't automatically equate to that. It is the attractive hidden qualities which make for a long lasting relationship.

As far as the balding thing goes, did you know, balding men have higher testosterone levels? This is attractive to women in itself. Lots of women have fetishes about baldness. Andre Agassi, Bruce Willis, David Beckham with a shaved head, Patrick Stuart, etc etc; all sex symbols. And lots love cuddly men, and can't stand bony men: I have heard so many women say they like men with a bit of flesh on them. Its like everything, everyone has their own personal tastes. I can guarantee there are lots of women who would want a relationship with you. Just be yourself, and the right person will come along. Who wants someone who just fancies you for how you look? I am really wary of guys who claim to be head over heels for me, just after looking at me, before they even get to know me. How shallow! They are the ones who have in the long run hurt me the most, because they couldn't care less how I feel inside. Whereas the best relationships I have had are those which have formed out of a friendship.

Hope that helped!

em

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I think that what some people don't like about themselves the opposite finds that really attractive. I myself don't go for those tanned, model guys such as altheletes etc but the guy next door who looks cute in my own eyes. I also don't like super skinny guys, I went through a phase for a few years where I just loved tubby guys (guys with love handles) I have since grown out of that but still like the love handles, mmmmmm.

You can see what I mean by going to my website and seeing the lead singer of my fav. band Simian. He's not every girls type for sure but he has a fantastic voice (talking and singing, soft and very expressive) he also has a sexy smile too me, so what I am trying to say is what you may not like about yourself is what draws the oppopsite sex to you.