What are scarves like??

greywolf

Ok, I feel really silly asking this, but I've never worn a scarf in my life, and I'm trying to crochet one. I'm worried that it's too thick/stiff. Are they supposed to be soft?

Yeah, they should be soft enough that you would want it around your neck, touching your bare skin, and flexible enough to easily tie. What kind of yarn are you using? That might be the problem.

(I knit, and have made a lot of scarves, but don't crochet.)

I think the medium sized one will work fine. Heck, I even have some other scarves that are made with thicker (larger) yarns but the yarn is soft and lightweight, so I don't really notice the weight at all. I haven't ever had a "not soft" scarf but I'm sure some exist.

I'm sure you'll love it, greywolf!

I think it's comparable to knitting, so yes, if you switch to a bigger hook, the stitches will be looser, and more flexible. However- how much of the scarf do you have? The first couple of inches of any project usually look pretty tight, and seem horrible, lol. You can't really get an idea of how the project till you knit/crochet a bit. If you only have a few inches, and are following the pattern, hang in there, it's probably fine.

• Like 1

when i used to knit with my mother we could use the same wool (yarn) needles, pattern everything but mine would be stiff as a board hers nice and floppy.

i used to pull the wool too tight when knitting. is crochet anything similar? is there a part on the pattern that says the scarf should be a certain width?

if you are pulling too tight it will be narrow and stiff.

on the pattern it should say what guage of wool to use, if you are using a pattern that is.