Just got new acne medication, woundering if it's any good.

I have been using proactiv solution for about 2 years and it has worked really well for me. I decided to get some new medication because it just seemed that the proactiv was controling less and less breakouts for me. It still worked but it didn't work as well as it did when i first started using it. Anyways i just got some stuff from the doctor first off some pills. I think the pills are called doxycycline and i also got some 100$ cream called DIFFERIN GELL. I know iv herd about differen gell before but is it any good? Anybody know if these medications are good at all?

I used to use a form of doxycycline and it helped, but I didnt like the side effects. I got severe dry mouth, and had some problems with sweating. I switched to accutane for about a year and it worked very well, with almost no side effects. However, if your a female, I woudn't suggest it, unless your pro-aboration. As in even small ammounts, accutane causes severe birth defects.

yeah the doctor was telling me about how its harmfull to birth and so on. It's esier for males to obtain the medicataion because we dont have to worry about birth defects and pregnancy and so on. Anyways, so ur saying the doxycycline helped. How long did it take to start showing results??? Did you go through any real BIG outbreaks befoer everything started clearing up?

yeah the doctor said use this for 3 weeks, and total of 8 weeks, if results arent to your liking you should visit the dermotoligist and they would most likely give you acutain. The doc told me accutain is a more permenant solution but only in die-hard cases of acne. I used to have bad acne but fixed that with proactiv and now i just need a little help clearing the smaller amounts that i have left. But yeah, they said if it doesn't clear up by 8 weeks you should get accutain. But the doc also assured me that i will like what i see after 8 weeks tops. So im really hoping it works.

FINGERS CROSSD

I used the doxycycline for about two months. It was effictive fairly quickly, within a week and a half.

Actually, after about the 4th day of taking it I got a huge breakout, the doctor said it was normal, and that the stuff was working, i guess it kinda purged out my pores or soemthing.

After that, I didnt have anything majour, althogh it didnt to a very good job of stoping blackheads. I took some over the counter stuff for that.

When I went to the accutane, everything stoped, althoth it took a bit longer for it to become effective. I think it was a few weeks,

so accutain TOTALY stopped it. Im only 16 so if i use accutain it will prevent ALL pbreakouts?? And totaly clear everything? Ill never breakoutagain if im using it?? This is my last resort so im not THAT eager to get on accutain. But the doxycycline, so it works very quickly? Like it totaly stops breakouts and so on? ANd yeah i figured you would get maybe a slight or major outbreeak right when u start becuz the body is gettin used to the medication. But afterwards things clear right??? Just trying to get info.

Yep, both pretty much stopped all breakouts on me.

I would occasionally get one of thoes small redish zits, but none of the puss filled onces, and never more than 1 or 2 at a time.

For me the accutate had less noticble side effects, but both were good.

The only difference, is that the accutane stopped the blackheads where the other stuff diddnt.

I stoped using accutane when I was 19 and switched to some over the counter cleanser that I use now, which works. I still get a few more zits/pimples than I used to when using the accutane but nothing noticble.

You will likely only use it until you completely stop developing, which can be anywhare from 17 to about 23.

so it takes like 3 or so weeks to actualy start seing clearer skin? I dont notice any difference yet, its only been 2 days now so im just not sure. Im guessing its way to early to tell. I seem to have developed a pimple here and there, but thats just probebly the medication working and changing things in my body and getting by body used to it. This is normal from what iv herd.

• 2 weeks later...

This actually works....

you don't need no acne creme, unless its really an extreme acne case.

Anyways, wash you face when you wake up, and before you sleep, also wash it in between when you do exersice or after work, always use soap, and wash you face with water then apply soap close your eyes you don't want soap in them. Keep the soap on your face for 1-3 minutes, then scrub it off with a damp cloth.

Also stay away from fatty foods, like hamburgers, pizza, hotdogs, nachos!

Keep at it for 2-3 months and you will notice some results...

also in the morning apply lotion to your face, lotion with vitiman E, that will make your scars heal a lot faster.

thegost, your suggestion is fine for the normal everday achne that everyone gets, but some people (including me) have it a lot worse, and even if we were to wash our face every hour, we will still get it.

Fatty foods have nothing to do with it, thats a myth. The only way fatty foods can cuase achne is if the greese from the food gets on your face and you dont wash it off.

As for the accutane, you only use it until you stop having achne problems, for most thats around the age of 22. You have to take it every day, even if you dont ahve breakouts, and when you stop, you will get a large case of breakout, but then it returns to normal.

I stoped using it when I was 20, and now have very little problem. I still use some over the counter stuff every day tho.

My sis was on accutane, and it worked for her.

NOTE: accutane only causes severe birth defects if you get pregnant while taking it. Because of this, many women go on some sort of birth control too while taking the accutane.

Accutane is giving to you only for a period of time, depending on the severity of ur acne. My sis was on it for 9 months, and she's been off of it now for almost 2 years, and hasnt had a break out since.