ok this is my oppinion on self injury

ok im gonna give you all my oppinion on cutting:

you must have noticed that people who cut tend to hide their scars.because they are afraid or ashamed.why?ok cutting may not be good for you but it is like smoking and drinking it is addictive.but cutting isnt a suicide attempt thereforeeee it is not even illegal.but if you do it in public and someone sees you they drag you to counceling and force you to quit.

but yet you see people smoking cigarettes all the time. where are the police to tranquilize them and force them to quit?you see police will force you to stop doing it even though it is far from illegal. you never see people in public cutting,oh no, they always go sit in a dark room and do it then hide the cut in shame.

i am aware that some people do cut and show their cuts but that is for attention.thats wrong they are exploiting some thing that we do as release or distraction from reallity.and unlike most of us who are labled "cutters" it is not a sick thing to do to cut for attention it is just a wrong thing it is like smoking to look cool.

i believe that all of us should not take shame in cutting because there is absolutely positively no shame in it.do you see smokers hiding in a closet smoking a little weed? or alchoholics under there bed drinking some vodka? NO! so why should we be ashamed of what we do? the answer is we shouldnt. i believe there is descrimination against us in the world and im not gonna take it. did you know if you are over 18 and go to counceling for cutting you will not be able to get a job that requires a phyche evaluation.because of fear for what you might do. but if you go to AA you can still get a job driving busses or anything.

ok you guys comments does anybody agree with me?anything?

-sTiTcHeS

wow, you made some really good points and i agree with you. i know no one will respect my opinion, but even i believe i would still feel this way before i got so bad: people are allowed to smoke, to drink, whatever. everyone else gets their addictions without question. we are forced to be ashamed of ourselves, and only us...

EmptySoul

hey, i agree w/ u on some parts, but i don't believe that cutting is a healthy thing to do, and niether is smoking or drinking. If u r depressed enough to cut yourself, then u can easily be pushed by the smallest thing to go farther than cutting and doing things like suicide, i should know because i used to cut myself and was almost pushed over that edge. now i agree w/ u that it's not AS bad as smoking weed or cigaretts, but it's still not a good thing. And if we want to get out emotions by cutting ourselfs instead of getting waisted and doing something really stupid like hurting someone else, then i'd say that it's the better choice, but still not a good one and it should be stopped just as smoking and drinking should before it gets really serious and out of control. but u did make some very good points that i had never thought of before, and u actually made me feel less ashamed of myself, so thanks.

-matt

well the point im trying to make is that people who smoke and drink as release are free to as they please but those of us who choose cutting instead are forced to stop. i dont believe it is healthy i just believe that it isnt fair that others can have their addictions and we are forced to be ashamed of ours. i have ben pushed to the point of suicide before so i understand what you mean.ive tried three times im just wondering if anyone else agrees or can offer one GOOD reason why others are free to carry on their addictions and we are forced to stop

-sTiTcHeS

heh. as stated before, you make some interesting points. i think a lot of the reason we cant go out into the open and cut is the nature behind cutting. smoking, and drinking have been around for a long time (at least to the founding of the US, as tabacoo was a huge cash crop down here; and alcohol since before then). yet cutting oneself is realatively new. well, let me rephrase that. it is only getting media now, withing the past twenty years or so. in the past, they used to pretty much just lock up those who were suicidal, and treat them as crazy. as time progressed, they become enlightened, and then changed to putting them in a comforting, happy and healthy environment. regardless, they were put away in a plsace away from the public, and noone really knew about them. it is only now, with our hospittals, modern medicine, and medicine of th emind, that we are realizing that there are better things to do instead of just putting this problem in the closet and trying to think about it. and such, to my point:

cutting is taboo. it is something that most of the public (when i say that, i mean the people who arne't suicidal/cutters) can't understand. and, in some cases fear. for th emost part, however, i think they just can't comprehend why someone would go so far as to cut oneself. and, typical to human thought, most of them don't want to know. so, instead of helping, they run away. and how this is different than smoking (both pot and tabaco) and drinking is that cutting is a realatively new 'release' that has been brought to the public view.

rofl. srry for the rant. that is my opinion anyway.

~Aleksey

I am too to cut. Mostly my depression is fantasizing how i will cut but I never do anything for real: except for some scarring i have on my shoulder and it doesnt look good. I know what pain is and also know that people with chemical imbalances (as me) find it a way to supress the emotional pain they are feeling but cutting or burning themselves.

But I also know that I was never proud of my scars and they are way too exposed all the time and everybody asks me what they are, as if they are stupid and it isnt obvious. I just say I hit it between the doors (they seem to believe it ).

Once guy who saw me playing with the knife, kept telling me that "god gave you this life and you have no right of taking it". obviously he hasnt ever felt what I feel. never ending PAIN

But at the same time, we have to get past it and understand that self injury is like sabotaging relationships with partners: it gives a sense of control. as, "I am in control of my life, I can leave it or take it away any minute I want." So sabotaging a relationship as "i am in control of it and can finish it anytime i want".

This is my position about this. You might disagree and I respect that.

I know what pain is and I know I could never get rid of it. But injuring my body is punishing myself even more and everytime I hold myself not to do it, in the worst minutes of my frequent episodes.

i respect your oppinion but the point i was making is that we are made to be ashamed of our addiction where others are encouraged in their addictions ( gambling smoking drinking whatever) and we stay hidden away like are problem is nonexistent or non important. that we choose this. but we dont choose it we are addicted to it and we have no control over the urge. we can control acting on it but the urge is always there.i lay at nite fantasizing about it ashamed of my cuts thinking of how to hide it the next day.smokers arent forced to quit. they are persueded. but not forced. drug addicts are forced but they arent followed up on. alchoholics are actually encouraged with beer comercials and bars.. i see the anti drug commercials well. |C|U|T|T|I|N|G| is my anti-drug . i am just disgusted that we are made to be ashamed of it. its not illegal so why do they force us to quit?

-sTiTcHeS

• 2 weeks later...

hey depressedone, i posted a reply before and since then i have given this a little more thought. The reason people look down upon those who cut rather than those who smoke or drink is because cutting is doing physical damage to yourself that everyone can see, so they automaticaly asume that it's worse than smoking or drinking because noone can see the damage being done by them. Also, if u think about it, people were kinda raised thinking that getting cut is bad and it hurts and it's unpleasent, and when they see someone cutting themselfs on purpose to go through these things intentionaly, they think that u must be crazy. so the main reason people look down upon cutters so much is because they don't understand it, and it's wrong to judge something u don't understand. u were very right about what u said.

-matt

• 2 weeks later...