i think i made a mistake - stuck foot in mouth

phasegirl

... about a week ago, I posted about how i have this overseas friend whom I feel is avoiding me even though we had been close.

To make a long story short, after I sent her an email and she didn't respond to it, I sent her another email telling her that I no longer wish to hunt her down and much less spend money on postage if I am not getting any kind of normal response from her.

Well, a few days later tonight when I saw her online, she got annoyed and told me that she thinks that my writing her asking her to tell me a story is weird, and that she's never heard of someone asking her that before.

??

Then, she said that if i dont' want to send her birthday gifts that I dont' have to - it's not obligated. (she seemed a bit annoyed).

She resumed the conversation normally, but I kind of felt uncomfortable with the situation. Of course, she ended the conversation early.

What do you think? Did I do something wrong? Maybe I shouldn't have told her about spending money on her on postage thing, but i certainly don't see anything wrong with asking her to tell me something / a story as a means of catching up.

What do you think - is she worth seeking out? We used to be so close, but I really do think she's pulling away, and I'm not sure if I went about this the right way.

Well..if you are online friends its very reasonable if someone gets busy with work, school, family and is not online as much. If she didn't quickly answer a particular email, I would have cut her some slack. I think it was premature to say that you wont be looking for her or sending her something. You dont have to send her stuff - thats' fine, but to suggest that she wronged you for not responding was a little harsh I think.

If you want to continue the friendship, I would communicate as normal with no expectation she will jump to respond, but if you don't care, then don't.

Archived