Resigning from a job of 3 days

Some of you may have seen my posts about my mother have a stroke. For those who havent, about two-three weeks ago my mother had a stroke and for a breif period of time could not even recall her own name.

Since then she has been a wreck emotionally and mental. I traveled home (a four hour flight) for a week to spend time with her and help in anyway that I could. She seemed to be doing better by the time I left and still have my brother and sister with her.

Yesterday I got a call that she has been readmited into the hospital. Apparently she was having trouble breathing and there may be some trouble with her heart.

Several month ago I applied for a second job at a bank. I ended up getting hired but right before I started my mother had the stroke. I literally worked for three days and then left to be with my mom. The Bank was very understand about this.

Now, with my mother back in the hospital I feel I cannot handle having this second job and I will most likely be traveling back to visit my mother again very soon.

My question is this: How can I gracefully resign from my position at the bank. I dont feel comfertable giving a two weeks notice because I will most likely be back with my mom very shortly and thus not available to work.

I feel terrible for doing this to the Bank but my mom comes before all else.

Thanks

Apologise for having to leave, tell them that under normal circumstances you would never do anything like this but your mother had had a severe stroke and needs as much time and attention as you can give her. Thank them for the opportunity and tell them you really regret being forced to resign.

Archived