Better workout results, swimming or elliptical?

When I first started at the gym, I was using the elliptical about twice a week, along with working out with my trainer and taking swim classes. Now I have devolved to rarely working out on the elliptical (except for 5 min before or after my training sessions), and more swimming. I like swimming and find it more fun. I usually swim for about an hour 2-3 times a week now, along with working out with my trainer for 1/2 hr sessions twice a week.

Do you think swimming is a better way to lose weight and tone up, vs working out on the elliptical?

I also get self-conscious while using the elliptical and swimming is pretty much a solitary sport since you have a lane (usually) to yourself.

Swimming is pretty much the best overall workout you can do. It works out every single muscle in your body, which is why you are probably exhausted after swimming. You burn more calories, faster. It is also very easy on your joints. While the elliptical is still better than pounding your feet on pavement, it can still hurt your knees. You won't have the same problem with swimming.

Basically, if you have the time, energy and dedication to stick with swimming, stick with swimming.

Cool.

I just feel bad that I am not working out on the elliptical as much as before. Now I usually just swim for about an hour 2-3 days a week, work out 2 days a week with my trainer, and take a Zumba class once a week. My trainer workouts are strength training workouts as well as cardio workouts.

Swimming is not as hard on me like working out on the elliptical is.

I'm sure that either would give good results for calorie burning, but I think swimming has far more benefits. Firstly, it's much more difficult to overheat while swimming and you don't get all gross and sweaty. This was a major issue for me when I was going to the gym. It's also, as you said, more fun, so you are more likely to want to continue doing it. Another thing is it would be better for muscle building. You don't really get that with the elliptical.

I vote swimming.

I like swimming and find it more fun.

There's your answer right there. I don't think the differences in how many calories are burned are significant enough to favor one type of exercise over the other in your case (things would be different if you were debating between leisurely bike rides and vigorous swimming, for example).

If you like swimming, you'll be much more likely to stick to it for exercise. Even if the elliptical has advantages (of which I am not sure), you may grow to resent it and stop exercising altogether if you don't enjoy it at all.

There's your answer right there. I don't think the differences in how many calories are burned are significant enough to favor one type of exercise over the other in your case (things would be different if you were debating between leisurely bike rides and vigorous swimming, for example).

If you like swimming, you'll be much more likely to stick to it for exercise. Even if the elliptical has advantages (of which I am not sure), you may grow to resent it and stop exercising altogether if you don't enjoy it at all.

Right now I am just happy swimming AND working out with my trainer. He teaches me different strength and cardio exercises that involve weights, pushups, resistance bands, and the medicine balls. I find I get more of a workout with that, than just doing the elliptical.

Archived