Tampon help

I tried my first tampon today and I used a lite one because that's how they said to start. my period is moderate to heavy and I soaked it in an hour. It overflowed! I know I should use a bigger one but shouldn't this have lasted more than one hour? that means the normal size will last maybe two hours? I thought they lasted at least 4.

and I dont wanna wear the biggest ones because they are known to causes TSS.

If your flow is heavy you have to change more often. Most people use a rage of sizes. I personal don't feel comfortable with anything over "normal" sized. So I have to change more on heavy days and less on light days.

I don't believe that you have a high risk of TSS with the size I think it has more to do if you personally are prone to it and if you leave a tampon in for longer then recommend (check the box but I think it's 4-8 hours something)

Tampons overflow it's a normal thing. Until you get used to how often to change them for your period and you body it'll happen.

Maybe it's just leaking; it can take a while to learn how to put them in properly. In the meantime, wear a pad & tampon at the same time. Even if it really is too heavy for the size of the tampon, at least it helps keep things a bit cleaner to wear both. Until you get used to it & are willing to switch to a heavier-duty tampon.

TSS isn't because of the size of the tampon; it's because the length of time you keep it in.

Yep. I ALWAYS have to use the Super size through my whole period, I have yet to ever buy a light pad or tampon in my entire life. You may have to go up a size to accommodate for your flow and if you are a heavy bleeder in the beginning you may have to change it regularly. But yeah, the size of the tampon doesn't cause TSS, that happens when you leave them in there for like 18 hours at a time.

I read this in many articles

"Studies indicate that higher absorbency tampons place you at a higher risk of developing toxic shock syndrome. You should use the least absorbent tampon needed to control your flow and reduce the risk of getting TSS."

Girl get yourself some super, I have been using Lilets for 10+ years. So much easier as you can leave them in for 8 hours and not worry, have to admit I have done it for longer ALOT when I havent woken up after 8 hours as Im sure tens of thousands of other women have.

Dont worry yourself and please dont let your period affect your life!

Stop worrying about TSS. It's very rare. Yeah there's always a risk but chances are you won't get it. A lite one would easily need replaced after an hour on a heavy day. Get yourself some super absorbancy ones for day 1 and 2 or just use regular ones and wear pantyliners to absorb any overflow. I always wear tampons overnight. Sometimes the super ones and I'm not worried in the slightest.

I read this in many articles

"Studies indicate that higher absorbency tampons place you at a higher risk of developing toxic shock syndrome. You should use the least absorbent tampon needed to control your flow and reduce the risk of getting TSS."

Here's another one for you.

"Most doctors will never see a case of TSS" From link removed

^^agreed, I went to my doctor to discuss TSS once, she didn't even know what it was until I explained what the letters stood for. Needless to say I didn't have it.

Yes the higher absorbency tampons are more likely to cause TSS, probably because the majority of women do not require such a high absorbency thus think they can leave it in for ages, allowing the bacteria to multiply. From what you describe you DO require a high absorbency, and once you get used to a regular changing routine, say every 5 hours and making sure the tampon has little "white" left, you will be using them correctly

I tried my first tampon today and I used a lite one because that's how they said to start. my period is moderate to heavy and I soaked it in an hour. It overflowed! I know I should use a bigger one but shouldn't this have lasted more than one hour? that means the normal size will last maybe two hours? I thought they lasted at least 4.

and I dont wanna wear the biggest ones because they are known to causes TSS.

I haven't ever heard of large tampons causing toxic shock syndrome, but I do know that a flow that heavy is abnormal. I have two menstrual disorders. I would suggest seeing a doctor. Talk to them about the medications, but also talk to a nutritionist about wheatgrass. That's what helped me with mine.

I haven't ever heard of large tampons causing toxic shock syndrome, but I do know that a flow that heavy is abnormal. I have two menstrual disorders. I would suggest seeing a doctor. Talk to them about the medications, but also talk to a nutritionist about wheatgrass. That's what helped me with mine.

heavy flow is normal. Some women just have heavier periods. extreme hemorrhaging is not.

I tried a big one today and couldn't get it in

Hahaha that sounded funny

Sorry Evastar! So anyways, did you use an applicator one or non applicator? Because I too used to have problems with certain non applicator tampons, specifically certain brands (lilets). I normally use tampax or the stores own brand (tesco) and I always need an applicator one. If they still don't fit, don't worry. Just stick with the normal ones for now with pantyliners at the same time and try a more absorbant one a little later down the road.

As for heavy periods, yeah they're pretty normal but they can be a problem. I had heavy periods up until about a year ago and I was always anemic so watch out for that. My periods are so much lighter now which I'm guessing is to do with my age (I'm 27).

Archived