How much to spend on a wedding gift?

I am a graduate student and I really don't make much money at all. What is even worse is I will probably lose all of my income for the next academic year and will live on savings only.

Two of my friends (also graduate students) are getting married this summer. How much should I spend on a gift for them? I can't attend the wedding because it is overseas but they will have a party at their house.

Should I give them cash instead, because they also might need it at this point in their lives just like I do?

give what you can. its not like you are attending a $150/plate wedding and can only give $25.

soooo give what wont make you have to eat dog food for the week since its just a party at their house. i suggest a gift card to something general, or to a place they did a wedding resitry at.

Whatever you can afford. These days most couples have items on their registries that range in price from 20-500 dollars, so you can pick whatever you can afford. If there's nothing within your price range you can give the gift jointly with a friend.

I got joint gifts from friends, and I also had some really small things on mine. Look to see if they need kitchen utensils, like spatulas or spoons. You can get most kitchen things reasonably priced (mixing bowls, spoon holder for the stove, cookbook holder, etc)

It's not how much you can give that matters. It's that you cared enough to give what you could.

If you can't afford an expensive gift, give from the heart. Have something framed which is of a nice memory for you, or draw something. Understated is much much better.

If you arent artsy, you don't have 100 bucks on your gift giving budget, and you feel uncomfortable giving a cheap orange squeezer or whatever, get away from the mass produced stuff and find something which doesn't have an obvious price. A little vase or a serving platter with a thoughtful note will still be appreciated, and probably not very expensive if you look around.

Whatever you do, don't spend outside of your range. If there is really nothing you can give, send a card. In a couple years, they won't remember who most of the presents come from, but credit card debt is forever.

When I was broke and had a wedding to go to, I always did what generaldisord says above, something I made. Once I gave a friend and her new husband a collage frame with their wedding invite in the middle and photos of them over the years, together and apart around the outside. It really came out nice. Another time I picked up some inexpensive silk or dried fowers and a premade grapevine wreath at a craft store and made them a silk or dried flower wreath in the wedding colors for their home. Or they have those "make a garden stone / paver" kits at craft stores, make them a nice stone for their yard with the date of their marriage or something. I think the kits are $15-20. You are only limited by your imagination!

Archived