Going on my first "date" since the ex....

Hi Folks,

I'm a long-time lurker, but as you can see from my post count, I haven't spoken up much (as of yet, at least).

It's weird to think that a little over 6 months ago I'd be saying what I'm going to type out here. I know I still have a ways to go in my recovery process over the "big bad break-up," but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I met a guy at a store a few nights ago, and after some urging from the friend that I was with, I got up the nerve to suggest that we should hang out sometime soon. My gut was telling me not to walk out of the store without doing it. Weird!

He seems really sweet. Apparently, we went to the same highschool, but we graduated a couple of years apart. I've been talking to him for the last several days now online. The other night I asked him if he would like to continue talking, out somewhere (which I thought he might decline to, but he didn't), and we're setting something up for next week! This isn't me. I've suffered from social anxiety for years, so asking someone out in this manner is completely new to me. It felt right to me somehow, and I'm glad I got up the nerve to do it. I hope we're not going too fast. I'm nervous, but I'm kind of excited too. I hope it goes well. This man seems really interesting! I just hope that the "ghost" of my ex doesn't follow along and haunt me while I'm trying to hang out with Mr. New Guy because I would like to get out there and enjoy myself next week.

You know just have fun! Relax!

The likelihood that this guy is the "one" right after a breakup is minimal... most of us have to get back into the dating pool groove BUT he could be a wonderful diversion... a great friend and best of all... that confidence booster that we need so we want to get out there more!

Just approach it like you would back in high school... just have some fun!

Archived