Is online dating a good idea? I would appreciate your advice.

I am 27 (never married) and went through a heartbreak last year. I went through a bad time and even a depression. I am from a different country and with work it is a little difficult to meet single people.

I am not becoming myself and I feel much better. It took me longer than most people but again... everybody takes different time..

I am ready to meet someone great... a real woman... someone who can appreciate me and what I have to offer (which is a lotttttt)

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?

As always, thanks ENA...

P.S. I wasn't sure what the right forum was for this thread. So apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Online dating is worth a try if you feel you want to give it a shot. Remember that you have nothing to lose and you most likely will get some dates out of it, and the number of couples meeting online keeps growing. Just be mindful of what site you are losing, as each functions differently and caters to a different type of cliental, different as in what type of relationship they are looking for (i.e. casual dating, serious/longterm relationship, and dare I say those just looking to get laid - but those typically have a 100:1 male to female ratio).

It can work, but I personally think it's overrated. For one, many only do it for sex. Two, people lie online, and three there are many con artists. I am not a fan of it because it seems not to work lately.

So those lying sex fiends aren't hitting on ya lately?

I've been impressed by how many people are meeting good people online. I suppose it's no weirder than meeting at bars.

So those lying sex fiends aren't hitting on ya lately?

I've been impressed by how many people are meeting good people online. I suppose it's no weirder than meeting at bars.

The problem is not many good guys seemed interested in me on those sites. They were either not my type at all (dads though I stressed no dads, severely obese, etc) looking for sex, or guys from other countries. Not worth the hassle to meet maybe one guy I may want out of thousands.

We actually don't hear how many people search online for partners, versus how many actually marry someone online. I've heard that only about 7% of all people doing online dating actually marry someone from online. That number probably includes people who "met" on non dating sites so I bet that number is lower. You probably have a better chance winning the lottery than dating someone online.

I don't assume everyone is looking for marriage.

I assume that about most of the guys I would chat with online were looking for sex. That's why I also stopped looking online. I'm not looking for marriage right at this point, but may in a few years. I read a study that years ago the number 1 reason for online dating was marriage but pretty sure it's hookups now.

Archived