Do you think society's ego-feeding is largely to blame for the way we treat others?

I am inclined to agree with you BlueSpiral.

I

think the self-esteem movement overall is irrelevant--it was just a reaction to what came before, the illogical guilt-tripping over things that don't warrant guilt. ("We'll shame you into conforming!") It was a natural overreaction to a problem that's no longer much of a factor.

Hermes

Wow, you NAILED it! I've been trying to explain this for a while but didn't have the words. Trying to explain that we are not what we 'do', we are 'who we are'. The most grandiose accomplishments have very little to say about the moral compass of the accomplisher. It only says something about interest and drive. And while interest and drive are important, moral compass, how we truly relate to the world and ourselves, is so much more important. Sadly, no one seems to care about this aspect.

Wow, you NAILED it! I've been trying to explain this for a while but didn't have the words. Trying to explain that we are not what we 'do', we are 'who we are'. The most grandiose accomplishments have very little to say about the moral compass of the accomplisher. It only says something about interest and drive. And while interest and drive are important, moral compass, how we truly relate to the world and ourselves, is so much more important. Sadly, no one seems to care about this aspect.

I guess it depends on how you define accomplishment.

I would consider volunteering at a homeless shelter from time to time and being a good older brother/sister an accomplishment that you should get self esteem from. However, to praise someone for literally doing nothing and validating them isn't doing that person any good. If you were to tell them to engage in fulfilling activities, then the self esteem will most likely come. If a person has no self esteem but should, that is a completely different issue.

Self esteem with no base for feeling the way you do is not healthy. It's like a house of cards. It's there but it can easily be pushed over and cause a harmful "realization' or breakdown.

Archived