Musicians on eNA

quirky

I think there's a few of us here that do music; either write songs or play an instrument. I though I'd create this thread for us to share our ideas and encourage each other as most creatives are faced with self doubt quite often

We can also exchange tips on various areas such as promotion, web links, putting a cd together, live gigs and the most dreaded of all: music software!!

Please share

I didn't start out with lessons. I've been in a lot of singing groups and I was always an alto (although my voice is naturally soprano). Last year the director decided to switch me to soprano and I realized I picked up a lot of bad habits from singing alto all the time, so I took a couple of voice lessons to learn how to sing correctly. But that's it.

I don't think I'd pursue it. I'm happy with my singing group for now. We sing at different churches about once a month and I enjoy that.

@Greywolf: When do you know when you're a good singer ? When people tell you ? Because we sound different then heard by yourself. Like most people, I think I sing great in the shower But outside of it ...

So you think it's possible to train the voice of a bad singer or is it only gifted for those who have a great voice ?

@Quircky: Any new songs on your website recently ? I lost the link so you should post it again

As for me, I play flute and chromatic accordeon. I used to drum and play all the percussion instruments too but I think that I've lost the skills now. Together with my friends ( who are all musicians btw ), we intend on forming a gipsypunk band in the future. If you wonder what the hell Gipsypunk is, you might check out video's of "Gogol Bordello" and "Kultur Chock" on youtube.

I think that sometimes, words are a barrier for the mind. A barrier that restricts us to the vocabulary we know, and the meaning we give to those words. As for me, music is a way to express that what can't be told by words. When I listen to music, I can often "see" the story that it wants to tell us.

If this world should ever come to die, I think that music and art are the two things I gonna miss the most

I think being able to sing has a lot to do with practice. Most people in my family can sing. I don't think that has to do with his being talented, but more to do with us being made to sing since we were young.

I guess the reason I know that I can sing is because I'm exposed to it all the time. Although, I wouldn't say that I'm a great singer. In fact, as my exposure and knowledge of singing increases, I realize more and more that I'm not that good lol.

As for training someone with a bad voice, it would depend on why the voice is bad. If the person has poor tone, then there's not much you can do. But if their technique is poor, then you can certainly train them to sing better. I've heard people sing with really poor technique (like cringeworthy), but have a good tone and I always think to myself that they would have so much potential if they got training. On the other hand, I've heard people with years of training, and while good, their tone wasn't exceptional.

• 2 weeks later...
In fact, as my exposure and knowledge of singing increases, I realize more and more that I'm not that good lol.

It means your ear is developing. It's not that you're not good, it's that your abilities are growing. I go through this every so often, too. Once I start noticing nuances that I didn't before, I know that's because they're getting under my fingers. Before I know it, my vocabulary expands by a couple phrases. It's the payoff.

I played the trumpet for 5-6 years and some french horn as well, but it was only while I was in school and I haven't touched either of them since. I'm currently teaching myself to play the piano at home so it's just for fun.

I use a music production software called Cubase that I feel really helped me get started.

Are you a musician, quirky?

Yes, I write songs. I started playing guitar at 16 and then I went to England and studied Music (composition) and it was like a dream come true! I really wish to go somewhere with it. I had left my passion because I was bogged down with working and paying the rent and one day I realised that my dream subsided. Then I moved back to my home country and my mum's house where I could live rent free. Since then I focused solely on my music and I feel so much better. My stuff is not commercial, it's a little complicated music..but there is a small market I want to believe!

So far I do EVERYTHING on my own. I write the music and lyrics, play all instruments, mix it, master it and promote it. I use the software Logic. They have played my songs on some online radios and they also played one on a BBC 6 show. I was really happy about that because it was my craziest song they chose (Confront the King). Most people like the song "Peach" because it's more melodic and romantic. Here's my site

link removed

Yes Suzy I like Bjork a lot. Many people think of her when they listen to my stuff.

What kind of training do you think you need? Maybe you can get some books that come with cd's or find some videos online..? I know what you mean though, I'd love to have some singing lessons or be tought how far/close to the microphone I should be.

I was also gonna add that if you manage to find a band you connect with you might get the training you need through experience of performing..something tells me that has a lot to do with it.

• 1 month later...

SuzyQ, I just listened to it, it is sooo good, you're really talented. You've never had lessons? That's so hard to believe. Please don't tell me you're doing another job, you should definitely do music, I think you can get somewhere with it!

Hey Juxtapoz, I'm listening to your music, I really like it! It's weird, it's not what I usually buy but I like it, it's kinda eerie. I like your voice, the first track particularly reminded me of something that could be in a David Lynch movie. Your other tracks could be in movies too. What do you do with it, you wanna do it professionally?

I am usually more interested in working with real udio, not electronic sounds, as it gives a more "raw" feel but I have recently become more interested in the industrial/electronic style too. It started mostly because I haven't got any musicians but I'm getting to see the possibilities. The Knife..someone else mentioned them to me, I've heard a couple of tracks and yes I kinda like them, a bit too electronic for me but good.

Hey Juxtapoz, I'm listening to your music, I really like it! It's weird, it's not what I usually buy but I like it, it's kinda eerie. I like your voice, the first track particularly reminded me of something that could be in a David Lynch movie. Your other tracks could be in movies too. What do you do with it, you wanna do it professionally?

I am usually more interested in working with real udio, not electronic sounds, as it gives a more "raw" feel but I have recently become more interested in the industrial/electronic style too. It started mostly because I haven't got any musicians but I'm getting to see the possibilities. The Knife..someone else mentioned them to me, I've heard a couple of tracks and yes I kinda like them, a bit too electronic for me but good.

thanks!!! for now i just do it to feel good, haha. i sold my first album on iTunes, never really caught any buzz but i'm all about independent music and self-producing, the homemade raw kinda stuff. my dream has always been to sing my songs with a band and travel the world touring. but i've never been able to find a group of people with the same kind of vision, especially since i've been traveling doing other things. my second album is just about finished but i've been lacking the drive to push it yet, something's telling me to wait. i might focus on that this summer. i'm in a creative rut where i am because i don't feel comfortable recording in my room. if i weren't so broke i'd get a hotel room for the night and vent there, i did that in the past and got a lot of stuff done.

SuzyQ, I just listened to it, it is sooo good, you're really talented. You've never had lessons? That's so hard to believe. Please don't tell me you're doing another job, you should definitely do music, I think you can get somewhere with it!

Thanks Quirky.

I haven't really had lessons in singing. I had like.. 4 months? when I was 16 but that really wasn't enough to learn very much. I think because she was more focused on getting me to pronounce italian correctly. So that was about 6 years ago

I'd like to do some singing and music on the side and try to make a little money off of it. But mostly, I would like to perform.

• 8 months later...

I've always wanted to be a singer, but I stopped singing because it didn't make me happy anymore..

I really want to start writing country music-I write a lot of poetry, and think I'm pretty good. I'm kind of afraid to put it up here (copyright issues), but perhaps I'll put up a few. Does anyone have any suggestions for writing country?

• 1 month later...

I think that sometimes, words are a barrier for the mind. A barrier that restricts us to the vocabulary we know, and the meaning we give to those words. As for me, music is a way to express that what can't be told by words. When I listen to music, I can often "see" the story that it wants to tell us.

Wow, I can totally relate to that, Tarkan. I play the flute and have been out of practice for about 2 years and I have really missed that outlet for my feelings. I think I may now be inspired to pick it up again!

• 1 month later...