I might get fired today?

Ive worked at a day spa doing reception for a year. Ive been a good employee and will come in if they call me last minute an hour or 2 earlier.

ive made maybe 3 mistakes with mixing up bookings but I was able to fix them on the spot and no business was lost.

My boss is back from vacation today, I was running the place while she was gone.

One of the newer estheticians (also a good employee) said I told her she needs to start at 1pm today. I know I told her 10am though. we had clients this morning at 10am and she was not there.

at this point it is her word against mine. I like her alot, we are work friends.

my boss really lost it and left me a voicemail flipping out and using the word 'f***' a few times. she said we need to have a talk when I come in later today.

um , how do I handle this ?

also I just got dumped 2 months ago so this is really the icing on the cake:splat:

I doubt you will be fired.

I believe in order for a company to let you go, there has to be a lead up to your dismissal. i.e. coaching about your negative qualities, documented coaching sessions, action plans for development etc etc.

Unless you have done something serious (i.e. stealing from the company), I dont think you can be on the spot fired.

If she fires you, you definitely can fight it and report them to the labour board - especially for her use of language.

I don't think you will get fired.

During the talk, just remain calm and state the truth, but in a tactful way. You don't even have to mention the esthetician at all.

Just say "I'm sorry this mix-up happened, but I know for sure that I stated that the first client was at 10am"

Don't say "I told her the first client was at 10am" or even use"her first client"- as those words could put the boss in defense mode. If you only talk about what you stated- the boss will be left to infer that the other worker who said "1pm" was incorrect- so you don't have to come right out and implicate your coworker.

Once you say that, focus on telling your boss how the situation with the clients was handled/taken care of -so that it is no longer a reason for your boss to stress out.

I doubt you will be fired.

I believe in order for a company to let you go, there has to be a lead up to your dismissal. i.e. coaching about your negative qualities, documented coaching sessions, action plans for development etc etc.

Unless you have done something serious (i.e. stealing from the company), I dont think you can be on the spot fired.

If she fires you, you definitely can fight it and report them to the labour board - especially for her use of language.

Not true. It depends if the state that the OP works in is an "at will" state. In "at will" states, employment is "at will" which means the employee can be let go at any time with or without cause and the employee can quit anytime too.

They might try to fire you though in order not to pay unemployment.

Personally I think they just want to talk to you, since this is your first issue.

My advice?

Stay calm, acknowledge the "misunderstanding", and tell you're boss that although you are 100% certain you told her 10:00 that there must have been some confusion, because you know she wouldn't blow off her work.

Don't get into the blame game.

Instead, consider where the communication breakdown could have occurred, and perhaps try to come up with a better procedure to prevent it from happening again. I don't know what this is, but if there's a communication failure, then there's room for improvement.

I doubt you'll get fired. If you boss trusts you enough to leave you in charge, then you are a valued team member. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, or you don't screw up. But my approach as a manager, is to try to shift away from the blame game, because that doesn't solve anything. Generally, my priorities are:

1) Take care of the customer(s) affected by the screw up (can you offer to provide a free service-by you, on your time, for inconvenienced client?)

2) Figure out what went wrong (not WHO'S at fault, WHAT went wrong)

3) Consider ways to prevent it from happening again.

4) Implement new procedures if warranted.

As for your screw ups. Remind your employer that while you appreciate the trust s/he places in you, that running the place was a stretch outside your normal responsibilities, and that while you did make mistakes, you felt as though you handled them appropriately, and then tell him/her what you feel you learned from them.

I hope something in there helps.

FE

Not true. It depends if the state that the OP works in is an "at will" state. In "at will" states, employment is "at will" which means the employee can be let go at any time with or without cause and the employee can quit anytime too.

They might try to fire you though in order not to pay unemployment.

Personally I think they just want to talk to you, since this is your first issue.

We live in Ontario and as I know, we have labour laws in place to protect us from this very thing.

However, I also work for a larger corporation so I would really have to mess up to be fired on the spot. But really, I think in Ontario, its all the same. I know people who work in smaller practices and have had to keep employees on the payroll even when they are clearly not qualified for the job. The employer could not just let them go out of fear that this employee would go to the labour board. They would then implement a documented process so they could cover their A**es should the employee fight the termination

I should clarify my original post. You can get fired and offered severance, or fired with X weeks pay, but without just cause (documented coaching attempts) you can still fight it.

But based on what you have said, I wouldnt be worried. It sounds like you are just going to be spoken to.

In Ontario, unless you are protected by a union or collective agreement, you CAN be terminated without cause. Small businesses with less than 500 employees have more freedom than larger ones. It is a misconception that you need to have a reason to dismiss someone.

BUT

If you dismiss without cause, you must provide sufficient notice or pay in lieu. The general rule, is one weeks pay/notice for every year you have been employed, up to 8 years.

The unfortunate thing is, many employers think they need to have a REASON, and so fabricate one to justify the firing, which succeeds only in preventing the employee from being eligible for EI benefits. IMO, it's not worth the hassle, or damage to your company's reputation to save the company from paying out a few weeks of severance. If the employee is damaging to the company, then it's money well spent to dismiss them legally, and to just meet your legal obligations to them and move on.

Sure, you can take them to court & try to fight for your job back, but you also have to prove that you have made an effort to find employment elsewhere. If the employer paid you what you are legally entitled to, the contract between you has ended. Plus, would you really want to work somewhere that you had to SUE your employer for the job? Hostile work environment, much?

Having said all that, I don't think the OP is going to get fired....

Archived